This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPR chapter.

We’ve all found ourselves in a position where we’re faced with a difficult choice. We might not know what we want, or we do know but we aren’t sure whether we should pursue it. We turn all the alternatives over and over in our heads, testing every possible outcome, but any time we get close to deciding, a wave of doubt overcomes us again.
It’s okay to be doubtful. It’s okay to be hesitant. It’s okay to think twice. Trust me, I know. I’ve always been a careful planner, and I rarely make a move before being 100% sure that it’s the right one. However, I’ve learned not to dwell on my thoughts too much, because if I do, life will pass me by and the window of opportunity will close. I’ve come to realize that if something feels right, it usually is. Always trust your gut. And if your gut is telling you to go for it, what’s stopping you?

Fear. Fear of what? Fear of failure, fear of judgement, fear of the unknown, fear of getting hurt, fear of being wrong. Whatever your specific case may be, don’t let them get to you; you’re stronger than your fears. It’s not about getting rid of them, it’s about taking those negative feelings and using them to fuel your desires and give you the energy you need to Get Sh*t Done. You never know what amazing things may come from taking a risk. Yes, it’s important to analyze your options before making a decision, but it’s also important to actually make the decision.

Genuinely think about this: what’s the worst that could happen? They say no? That’s okay. There’s nothing wrong with you; you just may not the right fit for them. They hate you? That’s on them. You can’t live your life trying to please others. You get hurt? You will survive. Time will heal you. You were wrong? Take the experience as a lesson and learn from it.
The universe won’t just hand you what you want. It won’t just fall into your lap. Stop waiting around for other people to take action and make their move; you’ll be waiting your whole life. Don’t be afraid to take the reins and steer your life in the direction you want it to go. As J. K. Rowling once said, “It is impossible to live without failing at something, unless you live so cautiously that you might as well not have lived at all– in which case, you fail by default”.

It’s always important to remember that it’s your life. Only you can decide what to do with it and what path you want to take. You have the power to change anything about yourself and your life at any given moment.

I know it’s easier said than done, but what do you have to lose? Whether it goes right or wrong, it’ll be a rewarding experience that you can grow from. The mindset with which you approach a situation is certain to determine its result. Even if you can’t change the circumstances outside of your control, you can change your attitude towards them. So take that leap of faith. Confess your feelings to your crush, call that old friend that you haven’t seen in years, apply for that job or internship. If you’ve been looking for a sign, this is it. Now get out there and go for it! We’re rooting for you!

English Literature major with a passion for words.