An Opening Ceremony to Remember

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPR chapter.

Since the beginning of this year, I could not contain my excitement about the Olympic Games. Especially, about the opening ceremony because I wanted to see what kind of spectacle Rio de Janeiro had prepared for the world to see. Rebirth and regeneration was the message behind the beautiful opening ceremony as ‘Rio is ready to make history’ with this year’s Olympic Games.

It’s a great time to be alive, just as the Olympic Games make history, because it is the first time they are hosted in South America. After 4 hours of pure excitement and entertainment, we resume the highlights of last night’s show:

Opening act:

The show opened celebrating Brazil’s renowned rainforest and the cultural diversity to the beat of samba, bossa nova and funk

The Girl From Ipanema:

The Brazilian supermodel, Gisele Bündchen, did her very last runway walking the length of the Macarana field (in 5′ stilettos) to the iconic song, The Girl From Ipanema

Tonga’s Flag Bearer:  

The stadium roared as, Pita Nikolas Taufatofua, the not-so-famous-now-famous Taekwondo athlete, appeared shirtless, oiled, and smiling from eye to eye. Who could have missed that grand entrance?  

Refugee olympic team:

Earlier this year the President, Thomas Bach, of the International Olympic Committee, a.k.a. IOC, declared that the committee would choose up to five to ten refugees to compete at the Rio Olympics, in light of the “worldwide refugee crisis” of which Europe is a prominent part of. The audience was moved by this team in particular that they greeted them with a roar and a standing ovation. 

Samba Party

Yes, samba party. Close to the finale of the show they played, for the crowd and the million viewers watching, a samba party.

And the best for last… Puerto Rico’s entrance:

The people of our island couldn’t hold their excitement just as they saw our beautiful flag made an entrance in the Macarana stadium field. We are very proud of our athletes representing us in this year’s Olympic Games in Rio de Janeiro.

The largest country is South America, the 5th largest in the world, is ready to receive and be the host of the 2016 Olympic Games. So, let the games begin!