Movie Monday: 5 Films Directed by Women You NEED To Check Out

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPR chapter.

The film industry is a place where wonders are created that many people know about and love. However, there are some that go unnoticed. I want to bring awareness to films that not everyone knows about, that are directed by women. 

Unfortunately, women aren’t recognized as much in the industry, and that needs to change, so I am putting in my two cents and mentioning some films that I personally love and hope that other people love as well.  Here’s to supporting women filmmakers!

Fast Color (2019) 

Directed by: Julia Hart

This movie follows a woman named Ruth who has superpowers and has run away from her home after her powers get out of control and start causing her seizures that create earthquakes. Ruth has been away from her home for years but decides to return after the seizures get too bad. She wants to know if her mother and daughter, who also have powers, will be able to help her control them. It is an absolutely beautiful film that has gone pretty unnoticed by everyone, so please go check it out, it’s one of my favorite films of 2019.

Booksmart (2019)

Directed by: Olivia Wilde

I really don’t understand how and why people stopped talking about this movie and let it flop at the box office. This is the high school comedy that I needed and the only type of high school comedy that should continue to be made. This movie follows best friends Molly and Amy, who are on their last day of high school. They spent their entire high school careers studying and doing extracurricular activities just so they could be accepted to their dream schools and they’ve accomplished just that, with Amy heading to Columbia and Molly to Yale. However, on their last day, they find out that the rest of the students, those who partied and didn’t seem to pay much attention to their schoolwork, were also accepted to top colleges. The girls realize that they could’ve done both things and decide to fit four years worth of partying into one night. I loved it, it was exactly my type of humor and very relatable; it’s also one of my favorite films of 2019. Please watch it before the year ends, I guarantee it’s completely worth it. 

The Beguiled (2017)

Directed by: Sofia Coppola

I can’t make a list of female directors without mentioning Sofia Coppola, and this is my favorite Sofia Coppola movie. The Beguiled is based on a novel named, A Painted Devil by Thomas P. Cullivan, and it’s set during the midst of the Civil War. It follows an all girl’s boarding school that’s run by Martha Farnsworth. One day, an injured soldier stumbles into the school and the women reluctantly help him, and stuff goes down after that. Sofia Coppola won with this film, the Palm d’Or at the Cannes Film Festival for Best Director, becoming the second woman to do so. Am I still salty that this movie was then completely ignored? Yes, I am. Please don’t ignore it, it has a great cast and it’s made by a great director. 

We Need to Talk About Kevin (2011)

Directed by: Lynne Ramsey 

This film is not for everyone, and it deeply impacted me. It follows Eva, a mother who has always struggled with her son, Kevin. It’s told in a nonlinear way, with it jumping back and forth between when Kevin was a child to the present day when 16-year-old Kevin has committed a crime. Eva is dealing with the consequences of Kevin’s actions, and she is seen as a villain as much as Kevin is. The directing is impeccable and I was in awe and covered in chills the entire time. There are so many things I want to say about this movie and the symbolism behind it, but it would result in a ten-page essay. Proceed with caution if you decide to check this one out.

Late Night (2019

Directed by: Nisha Ganatra

I’m a simple person, I saw Emma Thompson and Mindy Kaling on the poster and decided to watch this movie. Wow, what an amazing surprise. This movie follows Katherine Newbury, a late-night talk show host who used to be on top, but her ratings have started to decline and her show just isn’t what it used to be. They hire Molly, who is a fresh face and the only woman in Katherine’s all-male writing staff. The movie has a lot of social commentaries, especially regarding women in the entertainment industry and how they are seen after they turn a certain age. It was just a pleasant surprise and I loved it so much, it’s definitely worth checking out as well. 

There you have it! These are some films that I absolutely love and wish more people knew about. I hope you enjoy these films and here’s to the next woman to win an Oscar for Best Director!  Don’t worry, I’ll be one of them one day. 

Gabriela is currently an English Major at the University of Puerto Rico. When she isn't reading fantasy books, she can be found writing them. She is a Vegetarian Hufflepuff that loves zombie fiction, an irony in itself. An aspiring filmmaker, she one day dreams of winning an Oscar for her films.