Are You a Romantic or a Classic? Let’s Find Out!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPR chapter.

There might be two types of people in the world: the romantics and the classics. While we may not be used to thinking of ourselves and the people around us in these terms, the labels “romantic” and “classic” are a fun way of explaining some key personality traits of ours. They might help us understand the people that surround us as well. So, are you ready to know which one you are? Here are some qualities that distinguish a romantic from a classic, and vice-versa: 

Emotion or reason

Romantics enjoy things that are set apart from rational explanations. They value feelings above reason and feel that it’s problematic to use intellect as a guide to life. They like to act intuitively. It’s far more essential to the romantic person to feel rather than to think excessively. These people might find hobbies in the arts, such as writing, reading, painting, going to a museum, playing an instrument or listening to music; anything that helps them express or cope with their feelings rather than stressing too much on thought. 

Classics, on the contrary, are a bit suspicious when it comes to intuition and believe that emotions can be very misleading. Perhaps they have learned through bad experiences how unreliable emotions are sometimes. For instance, after heartbreak, classics may be skeptical about falling in love again. They might rethink and evaluate a love interest with reason instead of what they feel when they are around them. They see analysis and reason as the rightful guides for any scenario. 

Learning naturally or formally

Romantics may be doubtful about education. They think that things should occur spontaneously rather than be taught. They might feel it’s misguiding to have people think rationally about their future career and about who they should love. Instead, these two matters should occur naturally, without too much thought. Romantics like expressions such as “I had a feeling that…” and ”This calls to me,” or “Oh, it was love at first sight!” Moreover, this spontaneity makes them develop a particular interest in children, since these humble and sensible beings possess a certain kindness and empathy that adults sometimes lose as they grow older. 

Classics, on the other hand, are not necessarily satisfied with the current system of education. However, they do believe that the idea of education at its core is fundamental. For instance, practice and training are essential to avoid mistakes both emotionally and professionally. A classic person would acknowledge the importance of going to university and believing that only through systems like these, higher knowledge will be acquired, whereas the romantic feels that you can be better off being autodidactic. 

Integrity or courtesy

The romantic person is devoted to authenticity and expressing what they think and feel. The idea of being fake or having secrets feels wrong to them. A romantic person is usually an open book, and they will say what’s on their mind, even if it might be a bit harmful. 

The classic person, however, thinks that politeness is very important and they can be very guarded about their feelings. Saying absolutely everything on your mind can be dangerous and unwanted. They prefer to keep a civil relationship with someone rather than to be insulting by frankly saying what they’re thinking. 

What it could be or what it is

Romantics like to wander off on how things could ideally be and they judge how things are by imagining a more suitable alternative to that reality. Seeing things as they are brings disappointment to the romantic person. For instance, injustices or abuses of power make the romantic passionately angry and hungry for change. Romantics are rebels in their own way. 

The classic person doesn’t necessarily like things as they are, but when they evaluate current events, they reconsider and think things aren’t as bad as they were before, or as they could be. More often, the classic person may think about what could go wrong rather than right in creating an alternative reality in their minds. Rebellions and passionate ideas make them nervous. 

Spontaneous excitement or comfortable routine

Romantics don’t like the ordinary. On the contrary, they like strange things. They cannot be tamed. They are in constant movement for excitement, anything that can put an end to their boredom. The romantic person is always finding a way to escape and be up and moving. 

Classic people find a certain goodness in ordinary, daily life. They take comfort in normalcy and routine, such as staying at home and doing chores. They don’t need to be in constant movement. Staying grounded is not boring to them at all, it’s actually necessary. It’s a part of ordinary life, which isn’t really bad to dedicate some time to. 

So, are you a romantic or a classic? Or maybe you’re a little bit of both? Regardless of the one you identify with the most, neither is superior to the other. There isn’t a right or a wrong way to be. In fact, both the romantic and the classic have essential truths and approaches to life, making both of their reasonings and ideals important to keep in mind as part of who we are.

Claudia S. Colon Rosa is the Chapter Leader at the Her Campus at UPR chapter. In addition to overseeing all chapter affairs, she manages the magazine’s editorial and contributes to it as a fellow writer, mainly crafting articles under wellness, life, and entertainment. Beyond Her Campus, Claudia has worked as assistant editor for the English department’s academic journal, Sargasso, where she managed the journal’s printing press and distribution. She has also written for Rebeldia magazine and was part of the Her Campus National Writer program where she published an array of articles. She is currently a senior at the University of Puerto Rico, Rio Piedras Campus, majoring in English Literature and pre-medical studies. When she’s not writing an essay or overwhelmed with chemistry formulas, Claudia loves to watch anime and exercise to dance parties on YouTube. She gets the best of both worlds and she wouldn’t want to have it any other way.