7 Underrated Artists to Check Out

If you’re like me, you’re constantly on the lookout for new music but often fall into slumps where you’ve exhausted your resources and don’t know what else to listen to, or you have too much to listen to and don’t know where to start. If you’ve been searching for new music, look no further. Here’s a list (in alphabetical order; it’s impossible to choose favorites) of artists that, in my opinion, deserve much more recognition than they’re getting.

1. AURORA

Aurora Aksnes, known artistically as AURORA, is a Norwegian singer with a sweet, lilting voice. Her latest album, All My Demons Greeting Me as a Friend, was released in 2016, and it’s a compilation of hauntingly beautiful songs that will tug at your heartstrings and leave you wanting more. “Running with the Wolves” and “Conqueror” are upbeat and energetic, while “Half the World Away” and “Runaway” have more nostalgic themes. Her newest single “Queendom,” released in April of this year, is a magical melody about celebrating the beauty in our differences and flaws.

2. Bea Miller

Bea Miller is a vocal powerhouse whose relatable pop-rock songs will have you singing your heart out at full volume. Earlier this year, she released her album titled aurora. It’s a collection of spirited songs that encompass a wide variety of complicated emotions, each based on one of the primary colors: blue, red, or yellow. There’s a song for every occasion-- heartbreak, boredom, frustration, doubt, freedom, and self-love. It also features girl power anthems, such as “motherlove,” “buy me diamonds,” and “S.L.U.T.” Prior to this album, she released a stand-alone single titled “yes girl” about breaking free from toxic relationships.

3- Billie Eilish

Billie Eilish is a musical prodigy. At just 15 years old, she released her debut EP, dont smile at me, in 2017. It was produced and co-written by her brother, Finneas O’Connell. The album includes dark but strong and liberating songs like “COPYCAT,” “my boy,” and “bellyache” that are sure to have you up on your feet. If you’re looking for something more passionate and emotional, listen to “ocean eyes,” “watch,” and “idontwannabeyouanymore.” She also contributed to the soundtrack of the Netflix original series 13 Reasons Why with “Bored.” Since then, she’s released a powerful duet titled “lovely” alongside Khalid, followed by the singles “bitches broken hearts” and “you should see me in a crown.”

4. Bridgit Mendler

We all know Bridgit Mendler from her time at Disney Channel, but few know that she pursued a career in music. In 2016, she released an EP titled Nemesis. It includes the bittersweet song “Atlantis” featuring Kaiydo, about trying to revive a dying relationship. It’s accompanied by “Library,” “Do You Miss Me At All,” and “Snap My Fingers,” all which resonate a combination between indie pop and R&B. In 2017, she released a series of catchy singles with a similar vibe: “Temperamental Love” with Devontée, “Can’t Bring this Down” with Pell, and “Diving” with RKCB.

5. dodie

Dorothy “dodie” Clark is an English singer-songwriter whose music can best be described as the kind you hear during happy movie montages. She released her first EP in 2016, called Intertwined, where you can find cheerful but wistful songs like “Intertwined,” “Absolutely Smitten,” and “Sick of Losing Soulmates.” Her soothing voice made a comeback in 2017 with her second EP, You. It features mellow and pleasant songs with simple melodies, like “The Middle,” “You,” and “Would You Be So Kind.” Her latest single, “Party Tattoos,” was released this year, where she sings about how making mistakes is just a part of life.

6. Joji

Originally an Youtuber,  Australian-Japanese George Miller decided to put aside his videos and focus on making music using the stage name Joji. He released his debut single, “Will He,” in 2017, a song about regretting having lost a lover. It was followed by an EP later that same year named In Tongues. It explores feelings of melancholy through a mix of trap and R&B, like in “Pills,” “Demons,” and “Windows.” It will definitely have you crying in the club.

7. Kailee Morgue

Born Kailee Moore, Kailee Morgue began releasing music after a video of her then unfinished original song “Medusa” went viral on Twitter in 2017. This year, she released an EP of the same name, which included the finished version of “Medusa,” along with “Discovery,” “Ghost of Mine,” and “Unfortunate Soul.” Afterward, she released three singles: “Go to Sleep” featuring Bearson, “F**k You,” and “Siren.” Her sweet voice is a great contrast to the dark indie-pop vibes that she brings to the table.

Have you heard any of these? Let us know

Image Credit: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7