This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNT chapter.

Here at UNT, there are so many amazing and interesting clubs and activities on campus to be a part of. I wanted to use this article as an opportunity to highlight a club that was particularly interesting to me, UNT Improv! I had the awesome opportunity to sit down and talk to the club’s current president, Christian Campbell, about the Improv group here. This is currently the 6th year that the improv group has been around. 

Christian joined only three years ago because he did improv in high school and had a friend involved in the group before hand. Christian is very confident that going to improv is a good way to make friends and meet all kinds of people on campus. Improv is a great place to meet people especially because its a no judgment zone! During improv, people are being completely organic and raw which creates an easy going environment. Christian said his favorite thing about improv is that it’s not competitive and it improves self-worth and communication skills. “All improv is, is throwing your life experience into a different character,” which opens up more opportunity to get to know yourself in unlikely situations. If you or someone you know is interested in being a part of improv, check out Monday meetings in the ESSC room #255. If you would like to check out the talent and not participate, that’s cool too! Same room at 9 on Wednesdays. If you do come see a show, don’t forget they do accept donations as they are a self-funded group on campus. Maybe this interests you, but you have some questions. If so, the groups has a Facebook, Instagram and Twitter! Facebook: UNT Improv /Insta: unt_improv /Twitter: UNTimprov. 

This is one of my favorite orgs on campus simply because of how opened and organic the whole atmosphere is. I have been to one practice and one show and I can’t wait until I can open up my schedule for more. The lessons you can learn from improv and the skills you can practice while just being silly are very worthwhile. While I was interviewing Christian, he said something that stuck with me- “Improv is for the people doing it, making others laugh is a bonus.” Improv truly is such a good thing to be a part of, especially while in school, because it keeps your mind sharp while getting in a few needed chuckles along the way. 

Photo Creds: UNT Improv Comedy Club Facebook

A junior at UNT trying everyday to be the best me I can be without going insane! :)
Scotlyn is a UNT alum, Class of 2020. She graduated with a degree in Digital and Print Journalism and a minor in English. During her time with Her Campus, she served as the Chapter President for two years, and also held positions as Chapter Advisor, Writer, and Chapter Expansion Assistant through Her Campus Media. And yes, her name is like the country, but spelled differently.