This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNT chapter.

From the large popularity of songs like “Gangnam Style” by Psy or well-known musical groups like Blackpink or BTS, Korean pop music has become more of common topic around the world. Although many hear the word “K-pop” and already assume the worst, believing they will definitely not like it, there are several groups with similar styles of those of popular rap, pop, EDM, and R&B many enjoy.

Red Velvet

Red Velvet is a girl group who debuted in 2014, originally with four members. The fifth member, Yeri, joined the group in 2015. The one thing I hear people say as to why they do not like K-pop is because the style is too weird. The songs are almost annoyingly cute and the type of music and style differs greatly from regular Billboard Top Ten songs. Red Velvet definitely has the stereotypical “cutesy” songs, under their “Red” persona, they definitely have songs with more of an R&B and American pop vibe, part of their “Velvet” persona.

https://youtu.be/J_CFBjAyPWE

“Bad Boy” sounds a lot like an old-school R&B song to me, like the style of Destiny’s Child or TLC.

Monsta X

Monsta X consists of seven men and for those who are into more EDM or upbeat songs, their music would be right up their alley!

https://youtu.be/MS10Zz49FHE

“Shoot Out” reminds me a lot of songs from Skrillex or Steve Aoki.

NCT

NCT is a large group that are divided into smaller groups for different types of music. For instance, NCT Dream consists of younger boys that have more of a “G” rated sound to their music, while NCT 127 consists of older men that sing more mature songs.

https://youtu.be/gj-VU9oK2Yo

When I play “Regular” to friends who do not like K-pop at all, the main consensus is that it is good. It is similar to several top ten songs that constantly play on the radio.

Here are other songs from Korean artists that are worth checking out too!

If you are looking for more of a hip hop/ rap style…

• “Agust D” by Agust D

• eung freestyle – live, sik-k, punchnello, owen ovadoz, flowsik

• up (feat. mino) – bobby

• 1 verse    – J Hope

R&B

• HYOLYN(효린) – Dally(달리) (feat. GRAY)

• Want- taemin

• baby don’t stop – nct u

• singularity – v

EDM

• Freal Love – Far East Movement

• Good Boy – Taeyang

• Boombayah – Blackpink

• Miroh – Stray Kids

Pop

• Monster – exo

• Blood, Sweat, and Tears – BTS

• DDU DU DDU DU- Blackpink

• Bon Bon Chocolat – Everglow

• Vibe – 1Team

As a huge fan of K-pop, I could go on for hours suggesting music. If you are a fan of listening to new songs and like any of the following genres, I would strongly suggest checking them out!

Elisabeth Sanders is a sophomore at the University of North Texas. She is studying marketing as her major and hopes to include finance as her minor. She loves to write in her oasttime, and loves the UNT Chapter of Her Campus and all the wonderful and inspiring members of it.