How I Overcame my Fear of Phone Calls

Phone calls have always made me nervous. I hated taking them, and I hated making them. As with most anxious things in life, I knew it wasn’t a “big deal” and my fears were unjustified. But just because we know these things, doesn’t make it easy. Unfortunately, phone calls are a part of life, and being able to handle them is something I wanted to be better at. I didn’t want to keep putting them off or getting paralyzed when I had to answer the phone at work. 

So this summer I worked on improving my phone call abilities and lessening my fears. It wasn’t easy, and I’m not where I want to be yet, but I am much better than I was. If you also struggle with phone calls or any important skill in life, the method I used may be able to help you. 

The best way for me to get over my nerves was by forcing myself to confront it and practice. Depending on the severity of your anxieties, this may be overwhelming. But for me, forcing myself to make phone calls and talk on the phone was the best way to get better. In most things in life, practice is the key to success. 

I needed a way to ensure I would get a lot of practice, so I decided to take a job at the UNL call center, where the entirety of the job is calling alumni to connect with them and ask for donations. Not only, would I have to talk on the phone but I would also have to ask for money for the university, which is not easy and rather uncomfortable. I figured that if I could master with talking to people for a very uneasy topic, I could handle any phone call. 

Unsurprisingly, I was extremely nervous at the start, but over the summer I improved greatly. I was successful in the job, and I gained a lot of great skills. I still like to take a few seconds to collect my thoughts before dialing or answering the phone, but the major nerves and fears I once had are not as prevalent. 

It is good to always strive to improve yourself and overcome weaknesses or fears. I didn’t want my weakness to hold me back, so I worked to overcome it by forcing myself to confront it. My progress is not complete, and I am going to keep working at it. I always will keep working diligently to improve my skills because that is how you get ahead.