The Career Path That Stole My Heart

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNL chapter.

For as long as I can remember, I have wanted to become a teacher. I grew up in a small town and in a small school. I had incredible teachers, though. My teachers cared about me past academics. They cared how my family was doing, how I was feeling, if I was understanding everything we were learning – you name it.

As I got older, I got more and more opportunities to work with children. I loved every moment of it. Not only could I teach children, but they taught me things about myself. I learned patience, I learned self-confidence, I learned transparency.

Teaching children is so extremely rewarding. I struggle trying to put into words the incredible feeling that happens when you help or teach a child something new and everything clicks into place. Watching their face light up with understanding and excitement is an incredibly powerful and irreplaceable moment.

Education is such an exhilarating field to be a part of. Things are constantly changing and improving with the times. Technology is having a huge impact in schools, and I’m excited to be able to reap the benefits of technology when I become a teacher.

Children are so extremely impressionable. As a teacher, not only will I get to teach them the basic A, B, C’s and 1, 2, 3’s, but I will also teach them how to live their life. I will become one of the ultimate role models in their lives. This is an immense responsibility, but I will also view it as an honor. I will get to teach kids how to react in different social situations, how to live a life of kindness, and how to enjoy the day-to-day.

Ultimately, whether you are reading this article because you are also pursuing a career in the education field, or whether you happened on my sap-story by accident, I hope that you are following a path that you are passionate about. I can promise you that, if you follow your truest passions, you will never regret it.