10 Things a Non-New Englander Will Learn Soon After Coming North

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

10 Things A Non-New Englander Will Learn Soon After Coming North

1. Wicked is not a word used to describe a witch: Before moving to New England, I had honestly only ever heard the word wicked when referring the Wicked Witch of the West in the Wizard of Oz. I had never said something was “wicked awesome” or that its “wicked cold outside”. Now that I’m at UNH, the word wicked has taken on a new meaning that translates as “very” or “really” 
  2. New Englanders don’t realize how much the rest of the country STRONGLY dislikes Tom Brady: I have learned upon coming to UNH that the quickest way to lose a new friend is by saying that you don’t like Tom Brady. Not only that but people are shocked when I tell them that the rest of the country really does not like him either. To New Englanders, Tom Brady is a god ( I have actually been told this by six different people) and they are surprised and sometimes offended that you don’t see him as a god too
  3. Dunkin is a way of life: When I drove up north for the first time I was genuinely amazed at the crazy amounts of Dunkin Donuts that could be packed into one town. Starbucks is thought of as a far second behind Dunkin which was an unusual concept to me. However the obsession rubs off quickly onto an outsider (I accidently made three Dunkin runs yesterday and I’m onto my second already today).  
  4. Patagonia’s are not a luxurious rarity: The amount of Patagonia’s I have seen on campus already is amazing and its only the beginning of October. I think its safe to say that a majority of students on campus have a Patagonia something (coat, vest, pullover, hat) whereas if someone is wearing a Patagonia from where I’m from and from most other places, everyone comments on the fact saying things like “Wow Patagonia, that’s so cute” or “I wish I had a Patagonia”.  
  5. If someone says the “T”, they are not referring to sweet tea: The “T” is actually the transportation system in Boston. And people are very surprised when you ask them what it is. Even if you aren’t a native everyone expects that you know what it is so I’m here to tell all the foreigners that the “T” is in fact an abbreviation for the Boston transportation system-don’t forget it.  
  6. Saying the “bubbler” is not an old fashioned term: I don’t think I could ever say the word “bubbler” (aka a water fountain) without thinking it sounds a little goofy and I’m pretty sure most non-New Englanders would agree with me on that one. I had only thought it was used in old TV shows or something unrealistic, but no; it is actually part of the vocabulary here in New England.  
  7. A tennis shoe is literally something worn for tennis only: Or at least thats what a New Englander thinks. Sneakers is what they are called here. When I said tennis shoes someone asked me again what I had said and they thought it was funny that I was just talking about my Nike Free Runs. “A tennis shoe is worn when you play tennis. Like those white shoes tennis players wear”. They tried to convince me of this but sneakers is just strange to anyone below the Mason-Dixon. 
  8.  People actually know what the Green Monster is: Unless you’re an avid baseball fan or live in New England, the Green Monster is a term that you’ve probably only heard once or twice from, well, an avid baseball fan or a New Englander. And you probably never questioned what it is either. It’s the big green board in Fenway Park for anyone who has no idea what I’m referring to. Most people around here think everyone just knows what it is “because it’s the Green Monster”. Duh.  
  9. Clam Chowder is something only to be ordered in New England: This I have to agree with. After all, it is called New England Clam Chowder. And its made to perfection.  
  10. A Frappe is a Milkshake, not a Frappuccino: Not really sure how that became a thing but apparently saying a Frappe, pronounced frap (also the abbreviation for a Frappuccino from Starbucks anywhere else in the country) means the same thing as a milkshake. I thought they were joking at first. They aren’t. 
This is the general account for the University of New Hampshire chapter of Her Campus! HCXO!