Five Ways to Lose that Holiday Weight

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNCW chapter.

During the holidays, we pack our stomachs full of food until we can’t move, complain, and then hit the fridge again to get a piece of cheesecake. If you’re shaking your head right now, then stop because we all have done this. So, in order to help everyone out, myself included, I compiled a little list of ways to get rid of that extra thanksgiving-tub.

1. Drink Plenty of  Water

It’s easy to confuse thirst with hunger, so next time you’re feeling a little grumbly, reach for water first. Drinking also helps you feel full; this is why some experts suggest sipping on a glass of tea or water before a meal.

2. Count to 10

Some studies show that the average craving only lasts around 10 minutes. So, if you can hold out until then, your craving may just disappear.

3. Eat More Often

Light, frequent meals curve your appetite and boost your energy levels, which in turn, improves your mood and speeds up your metabolism.

4. Exercise

Exercising burns calories and also increases serotonin levels in the brain, which keeps you in a positive mind-set.

5. List Your Goals

Make a goal, and write it down. Once you see the goal on paper, it becomes real and verifiable according to fitness expert Frank Sepe.

Losing weight doesn’t have to be painful. Go at it slowly, and then work your way up to becoming a fitness guru, that is, if you want to. 

Tabitha Britt

New School '18

Tabitha Britt (formerly Tabitha Shiflett) was the Editor-in-Chief and Co-Correspondent of Her Campus at The New School between August 2016 - January 2018. Tabitha graduated from The New School of Social Research on January 31, 2018. She's also a graduate of the Dub (The University of North Carolina Wilmington, UNCW) where she held the position of Managing Editor for the UNCW HC team. You can find her byline in a variety of publications including CBS Local, Taste of Home, Luna Luna, Thought Catalog, and Elite Daily. See more at www.tabithashiflett.com.