Culture > News

8 News Stories That Are Actually Positive

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNCW chapter.

It’s no secret that we as a society are used to hearing bad news. It seems like every time we switch on the news or login to Facebook, another tragedy has occurred. Lately, whether it’s an act of violence, a political scandal, or another troublesome update about the state of the environment, bad news seems to consume our lives. While it is important to stay in-the-know regarding current events, constantly subjecting ourselves to the worries of the world via mainstream media can have detrimental effects on our mental and emotional health.

So, it’s really important that we take time every day to focus on the good things that are happening around us. I know, it’s hard to think positively when it always seems like the world is experiencing one tragedy after another. Well, I’m here to tell you that that is only one side of the story. So, here are eight positive things that have happened recently that you can think about next time you’re feeling overwhelmed with negativity:

Denmark recently purchased the last remaining circus elephants in the country so the animals can retire in peace.

The animals will be cared for by Animal Protection Denmark until the government is able to find them a permanent home (Good News Network).

Actor and comedian Bill Hader released a video for the Child Mind Institute in which he opened up about his lifelong struggle with anxiety.

Hader shared his personal story while offering encouragement, hope, and practical advice for anyone else dealing with anxiety (Child Mind Institute).

Boston Mayor Martin J. Walsh announced the Boston Saves initiative, which donates $50 to every kindergartner enrolled in Boston public schools.

The money will be used to create savings accounts for each child as a college or career fund (Now This News).

More and more mainstream companies are implementing green initiatives and sustainability efforts to improve the environment.

These companies include Target, which recently launched an eco-clothing line, and Starbucks, which will have eliminated plastic straws from all locations by 2020 (Conservative Energy Future).

Actor Jenna Fischer, best known for her role as Pam on “The Office”, recently launched a campaign called the “Dundie Tribute” to support new refugee families arriving in the U.S.

Those looking to support the campaign can purchase products ranging from t-shirts to coffee mugs and all proceeds will go to Miry’s List, an organization that provides refugees with essential items for starting their new lives (Jenna Fischer, Dundie Tribute).

A fourth-grade boy from Florida who was bullied for wearing a homemade “University of Tennessee” t-shirt was offered a four-year scholarship to the university.

After his mother shared the heartbreaking story on social media, the university reached out with a care package and awarded him the scholarship, provided he meets admission requirements when the time comes (ESPN).

New York fashion designer Hillary Taymour debuted her new eco-chic collection, “Collina Strada”, during New York Fashion Week.

Taymour uses her platform to promote sustainability and even provided tip sheets listing ways to help the environment for those who attended the fashion show.

“Supernatural” stars Jared Padalecki, Jensen Ackles, and Misha Collins recently held a campaign to help victims of Hurricane Dorian. 

The actors paired with Hot Topic to create a t-shirt commemorating the last season of Supernatural. All proceeds from the campaign will go to non-profit charity Random Acts in order to aid those affected by Hurricane Dorian. 

Elena is a friendly senior at the University of North Carolina Wilmington. She is currently majoring in Communication Studies with a minor in Spanish. When she's not in class or napping, you can catch Elena working out at the gym, binge-watching medical dramas, or indulging her caffeine addiction at a local coffee shop.