This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UMKC chapter.

By the title of this article, you might be thinking, “Well Abbey, it’s obvious that we need to be social distancing during a pandemic. People shouldn’t just meet up with strangers right now!” Then tell me this…why is it still happening?

‘Your body, your choice,’ is a motto I live by. That is unless your choices start to negatively affect others around you. Now, I am 100% for a random hookup every now and then, but during a pandemic is possibly one of the worst times to do so. I didn’t think I needed to say this, but STOP. This is not me shaming you for hookups, but merely me trying to get you to consider how other people might be affected. Before you go out with Josh from Bumble, who has his height listed on his profile, here are a few reasons why you should stay inside.

Human Contact Spreads the Virus.

I get it, sex is somewhat of a human need, but the virus is spread by human contact. Consider this: the guy or girl you want to meet up with is possibly interacting with other people. Those people are interacting with even more people, and so on. The fact of the matter is that you don’t really know where they’ve been. It takes a couple days to show symptoms, so you don’t truly know what you’re walking into. The world is trying to flatten to the curve, so instead of a random Tinder hookup, can I interest you in something called masturbating? What a better time to get in touch with your body than by safely doing so in your own home during quarantine!

It’s Not About You — It’s About the Safety of Others.

Essential workers, like grocery store clerks, are getting COVID-19 just from doing their jobs. The reason social distancing is in order is to slow the spread of the virus. Now, you might not think meeting up with someone could affect others, but it 100% does. Think about nurses, doctors, medical care personnel and other essential workers. They could be affected by people not listening to the mandated quarantine. Think of the people who have to go outside right now, and stay in for them.

There will be an end to this, even if it doesn’t feel like it right now Trust me, I feel like that too. But for now, stay in, stay safe, keep others safe and find other ways to satisfy yourself. After the pandemic, get it girl! Go wild if you want, but for now, remember you have other options than the ones that would put others at risk. 

Phone sex and sex toys exist too, you know. 

Abbey is a sophomore at University of Missouri - Kansas city studying communications emphasis in Journalism and minoring in English. In her free time, she can be found coffee shop hoping around Kansas city, watching vine compilations on YouTube, or spending all her money at Sephora and beating her face to the gods.
Krit graduated with English and Chemistry degrees from UMKC. As the President and founder of UMKC’s chapter, she hopes HC UMKC will continue to create content that inspires students. Some of her favorite things include coffee and writing.