jen theodore 1bTDrEEhqig unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jen theodore 1bTDrEEhqig unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Unsplash

What it Means to be a Feminist

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UMKC chapter.

Hello all! I’m here today to discuss the topic of feminism. I am a feminist, and I advocate for women’s rights. Over past years, the word “feminism” has developed a negative connotation to it and it has been tagged with numerous misconceptions. Being a feminist simply means that you argue for the equality of the genders in regards to political, economic and social aspects. The modern movement occurred in the year 1848 in Seneca Falls, New York. Although this movement began nearly 175 years ago, the movement and word itself is highly controversial and is not an accepted ideology in the world today. I gave you the book definition, but that doesn’t tell you what it actually means to be a feminist so here it is:

Being A Feminist Doesn’t Mean You Hate Men

By being a feminist or supporting a feminist movement, you are not saying women are above men in the slightest. By definition, you are advocating for equal rights or the same rights as men have. You’re not separating the genders; you are fighting to close the gap between the two.  

You Don’t Have To Be A Woman To Be A Feminist

First and foremost, anyone can be a feminist. Heck! I would consider my dad a feminist, raising two daughters of his own. Focus on the definition: if you believe in equality, then you’re a feminist.

You Don’t Have To Burn Your Bra & Underwear To Call Yourself A Feminist

During the 1960s, some women tossed their bra, underwear and other female clothing into what was called the Freedom Trash Can in support of women’s right. I’m not saying if you want to become a feminist you should go around burning your favorite Victoria Secret Bra. However,  if you do consider yourself a feminist, definitely consider going to women’s marches and keeping yourself educated and in the loop with politics and other current events.

After reading this, I invite you to not get caught up on the word “feminism,” but the definition of it as that is extremely important. In the end, everyone should be a feminist because women’s right are human rights. Everyone is equal, and it is important that everyone sees this. Women’s voices and opinions should hold the same weight as men’s input. It is disgusting to me that some religious and political authorities have spent years trying to dominate and control the lives of women, and it just goes to show that misogyny is present in everyday culture and media around the world. This is another reason indeed that everyone should be a feminist – I know it is why I am.

P.S. if you want to learn more about the women’s liberation movement that occurred throughout the 1960s and 1970s, I highly recommend and encourage you to watch the documentary, “She’s Beautiful When She’s Angry.” It can be found on Netflix and tells an amazing story of how a group of courageous women created a whole movement surrounding women’s rights.

Hannah is currently a sophomore at UMKC, majoring in Pre-Pharmacy. She is a feminist & a Jesus Lover. She enjoys listening to alternative music, fashion, and the color yellow. Hannah is a supporter of G2 pens and loves meeting new people!
Krit graduated with English and Chemistry degrees from UMKC. As the President and founder of UMKC’s chapter, she hopes HC UMKC will continue to create content that inspires students. Some of her favorite things include coffee and writing.