This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UMKC chapter.

Hey Collegiettes, it’s been a while. I’m sorry I have been so MIA. Last year was a tough year for me overall, so I want to write a piece to help us both. These are five things you can do to make this year better. 

Visit a shelter and play with animals

Take time out of your day to go visit some animals and feel the joy of being with them. I recommend Wayside Waifs. It’s an excellent place to volunteer and to just see animals. Who knows, maybe you will leave with a cutie too! If you have allergies, my friend, I recommend the fish. The way they swim can be incredibly relaxing to watch. Sometimes you need something to help you relax and a break with an animal could be exactly that.

Make a memory jar

Get a jar. Every time something good happens, write it down and slip it in there. Whenever you feel sad, pull one out. Now you have a memory to visit and can remember that not every day is bad. We all have a little bit of good in our day, but sometimes we just need a pick-me-up to keep going. This jar will give you that.

Take a walk

Turn off the music and take in the world around you. The people, nature and the world. Close your eyes and think about how right in this moment, 7 billion people are having good days and bad days. Take a deep breath and remind yourself that you might feel alone, but you never really are.

Spend a whole day alone.

Date yourself. Those shoes you’ve been saving for a special occasion? Wear them. Life is too short to deny yourself pleasure. Make yourself smile because if you don’t, who will?

Create a gratitude journal

Try to write three things you are grateful for every single day before you go to sleep. A gratitude journal can go a long way in healing yourself and reminding yourself that you can keep going.

I hope these ideas were some help to you. I struggle with depression and anxiety and these are the things that have kept me going through to February. I hope they help you carry your weight too.  

Hoor is a junior at UMKC majoring in Creative Writing and Psychology. She enjoys traveling the world, reading, writing, and animals. She aspires to become an author one day as well as an owner of a huge library. You can find her binge-watching her favorite shows such as Game of Thrones, writing,in her room or playing with her dog, Aussie.
Krit graduated with English and Chemistry degrees from UMKC. As the President and founder of UMKC’s chapter, she hopes HC UMKC will continue to create content that inspires students. Some of her favorite things include coffee and writing.