This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UMKC chapter.

In a time of social distancing and Zoom University, you might feel a little bored and overwhelmed at times. Finding something fun to do can help ease your stress and give you something to do instead of binging Netflix all day. Here are some of the things that I am doing while stuck at home.

Find New Hobbies

There are tons of hobbies you can try. Baking and cooking are some easy ones, or scroll through Pinterest and find some crafts to do. I taught myself how to crochet in one day (obviously I’m very bored). Michael’s is constantly having sales and it’s simple to find free shipping coupons when you are shopping online. If you do want to go to the store to browse for new crafts or cooking ingredients, please practice social distancing.

Zoom Meetings

With Zoom being offered free for most college students, take advantage of it and schedule some time with your friends. Do you normally eat lunch with them at a certain time between your classes? Schedule a Zoom meeting and eat lunch with them virtually. Sure, it’s not in person, but it’s still a social interaction that you have probably been missing.

Go Outside

With a lot of bad news floating around in the last couple weeks, it’s hard to see the good things happening. For one thing, it’s finally spring and the cold weather is behind us. You can go outside and sit on your porch and soak up the sun and fresh air. You can even go on a walk around your neighborhood, but keep a good social distance if you run into your neighbors of course.

It’s scary out there in the crazy world, but let’s try and find some good in it. Check in on your friends, start a new puzzle and find some new hobbies. Also, stay informed with the news surrounding COVID-19. I have found that this website from Johns Hopkins University provides excellent information on the virus and is a very good resource if you want to stay informed. Stay safe and healthy everyone!

Amira is currently a senior at the University of Missouri-Kansas City. She is always smiling with a kombucha in her hand & blasting her multiple Céline Dion CD's in her car because duh, the radio can't beat Céline Dion. On any given day she will gladly talk your ear off about Grey's Anatomy, stronger background checks for gun purchases and why immigrants are some of the most important members of our society.
Krit graduated with English and Chemistry degrees from UMKC. As the President and founder of UMKC’s chapter, she hopes HC UMKC will continue to create content that inspires students. Some of her favorite things include coffee and writing.