This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UMKC chapter.

Fashion is all about expressing yourself. With all of the new fashion trends hitting the internet, I’m always eager to try them to find out more about myself and what I like. Trying out new trends are my favorite ways to learn more about who I am and my own personal style. I get a lot of inspiration from streetwear to help me switch up my wardrobe often. I see a lot of trends these days that seem right up my alley, so here is a list of some of my current favorites!

Fanny Packs/Shoulder Bags.

I’ve always hated carrying around purses and backpacks due to how inconvenient it can be. When fanny packs were getting popular again (retro is back in style), I wasn’t too sure if I should try them out. After seeing pictures from New York Fashion Week and Seoul Fashion Week, I was hooked on the look of shoulder bags. They are just like fanny packs but are supposed to be worn over your shoulder and they sit on your back/chest. Being the type of person to just like taking my phone, keys, and wallet, a simple bag that I can throw on without the fear of forgetting it somewhere is just what I needed. This is definitely an accessory I love and cannot get enough of.

Chokers.

I am absolutely loving that 90s fashion is coming back into everyone’s wardrobe. A simple choker can really accentuate a good outfit and they are so easy to style. A simple gold choker is my favorite piece of jewelry to wear when I want to look like I tried even when I actually didn’t.

Wide-Leg Pants.

We all know how uncomfortable skinny jeans can be, so when wide-leg pants came into style, I was more grateful than anything. Not only are these pants comfortable, but they can be added to your professional wardrobe too! One thing I love about wide-leg pants is that they lengthen your legs to make you look taller. Whether you’re going to brunch with friends or to a business meeting, these pants are stylish for any occasion!

Vintage Graphic Clothing.

This last trend is more of a general style I see others wearing quite often. A simple crewneck or t-shirt with a retro design can fit this category perfectly. I love the simplicity and uniqueness of some of the designs on these clothes, so it made me a fan very quick. The best and worst part, though: a lot of the clothing inspiration we see are from thrift stores, so finding dupes can be difficult at times. But that just means everyone has their own personal and totally unique outfit, which is the best trend of all.

If these trends aren’t already part of your daily style, trying to incorporate them into your wardrobe may seem daunting. However, our signature styles shouldn’t be confined to just one or two trends— go ahead and wear whatever you like! My best advice on blending new pieces into your daily outfits is to wear them with confidence. Try out something new and don’t be afraid to switch it up. 

Samiya is a medical student at UMKC. She loves exploring new coffee shops, trying out new beauty trends, and is a sucker for all things wellness!
Krit graduated with English and Chemistry degrees from UMKC. As the President and founder of UMKC’s chapter, she hopes HC UMKC will continue to create content that inspires students. Some of her favorite things include coffee and writing.