This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UMKC chapter.

If you’re like me, you’ve been awaiting the much loved, seasonal-themed activities that come with the fall season. Breaking out the sweaters and flannels, going to pumpkin patches, and taking hayrides are the things we’ve been looking forward to and the time is here. The crisp autumn air and gorgeous changing leaves have us all in a cozy mood (cuffing szn right?). Fall is certainly a perfect time to plan a fun date, whether with your *boo* or your bestie, and Kansas City has plenty to offer! Here are some ideas for local fall dates this year.

1. Satisfy your fall cravings at a local cider mill!

Drink apple cider, enjoy locally made apple butter, pick your way through a pumpkin patch, get lost in a corn maze, shop through a country store… how many fall activities can you fit into one day!? You will surely not run out of things to do at one of our local cider mills, and visiting one is honestly a must for your fall to-do list. Check out Dunn’s Cider Mill and Louisburg Cider Mill for a day of fall fun!

2. Picnic on the lawn of The Nelson

Talk about a photo-op! Between the changing leaves on the trees scattering the landscape and the variety of sculptures inhabiting the grounds, there is just as much beauty surrounding the Nelson as there is on the inside. Bring blankets to cozy up and enjoy a meal or simply take a walk and admire the artwork. The Nelson Atkins Art Museum is famous for the huge shuttlecocks located outside the building, but many more unique pieces can be discovered on a walk around the museum. Enjoy these sights, just a short walk from campus, before it gets too cold!

3. Take advantage of the best season to go hiking!

I find it hard to believe that there is a better time to go hiking than in the fall. The weather is a perfect in-between (you don’t have to worry about sweating from the heat, but won’t freeze either) and with the warm array of colors on the trees, the views will be at their prime. What a perfect time to get a breath of fresh air and take a break from the city to enjoy the outdoors. Appreciating nature and exercising together is a perfect way to spend quality time with someone. Check out Parkville Nature Sanctuary, Roanoke Park, and Maple Woods Nature Preserve for some trails to tackle with your special someone.

4. Coffee lover’s delight on a tour of The Roasterie

This one must be my personal favorite. Whether you’re a committed coffee-enthusiast, experienced barista, or just an occasional sipper, this is an experience that all levels of coffee fans can enjoy. Take your cozy trip to a local coffee shop this fall to the next level by getting a behind-the-scenes look at how the coffee is made! The Roasterie offers tours for all ages where you can learn about the company and watch first-hand how the brewing process works. This unique tour is only $5 per person, which also includes sampling their drinks and a souvenir glass!

5. When it gets too cold and dinner & a movie aren’t cutting it…

Let’s be real here. When spending time outdoors is no longer an option, it becomes very easy to fall into the habit of going out for dinner every weekend as your “fun” activity, what else is there to do? Thankfully, Kansas City has many hidden gems and can make your date nights way more interesting. How’s your creative side? Even if you don’t consider yourself to be very skilled in the art department, this is something you can try and will most likely be very glad you did. Belger Arts Center offers “Date Night Classes” to try your hand at pottery. Don’t worry, they accept all levels of experience. This is a perfect way to step out of your comfort zone (or show off your skills) and have tons of fun with your partner. Plus you’ll have a ceramic artwork the two of you made together as a souvenir from your fun date!

Gracie (originally from St. Louis) is a secondary education major with an emphasis in English and is a member of Alpha Delta Pi sorority at UMKC. Her favorite activities range from visiting local coffee shops to finding new places to hike and explore outdoors. She is passionate about art, helping people & animals, traveling, and style + design.