What It’s Like to Date in College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UIC chapter.

Finding your soulmate or someone to do cute Fall things with you is simply something some are eager to have in college. However, being only a freshman in college doesn’t help. You’re new to college and meeting new people: you can also set your eyes on a guy, and later realize that he has a girlfriend – awkward. Many of my friends have tried dating apps like Tinder, Bumble, etc. I don’t find myself fond of meeting people on an app because you never know who you’re meeting. I surprisingly tried it because I was bored and curious one day, and I don’t regret it!  

(Courtesy of Google)

Guys on Tinder always seem to look for hookups, and that’s definitely not what I’m looking for. I would also find it very awkward on campus; I would find myself always checking my surroundings hoping I wouldn’t see any of my matches. LOL!! I was actually thinking of deleting my account until I swiped right to this guy we will name as David. At first, I was like okay this is the last guy I will talk to; I will see where this goes. We started talking and like every guy on Tinder, he was so sweet, and we had so much in common. One day, I decided to look through his profile (a new feature I noticed was that it connected you with friends of your mutual friends on Facebook), so I scrolled down and saw that most of my friends from high school were his friends on Facebook. I was so confused for a moment, so I did the next best thing, Facebook stalking which my friend was so kind to do for me. It turns out that he graduated the year before I did; I was beyond surprised when I realized this, but I also felt more comfortable talking to him knowing that my friends knew who he was. 

It’s been a little more than a month, and we’re in a good place. We have gone on a couple of dates and really seem to have a connection; we both have completely walked away from Tinder since we met because we both see this going somewhere. So, if you’re on Tinder, Bumble, or any other dating app, you never know who you’ll meet. Who knows, you might find someone who graduated from your high school. 

Leave some of your dating app experiences in the comments!!! Not everyone’s experience is the same, share with us :)

UIC Contributor.