5 Ways to Take Advantage of the Opportunities at UIC on your own!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UIC chapter.

This is what I have learned from being at UIC for 3.5 years: take advantage and get involved. We hear it all the time even from our professors and they are right, we must get involved. UIC has about 27,500 students and seeing new faces every day of the year can feel lonely. Meeting with your friends might only be 50 minutes between classes once a week, but when you have free time on your own take advantage of different opportunities around campus and meet new people. Of course studying is your first priority and the library is your second home but it’s time to change your environment, to learn new things, and relax your mind from all that studying.

Here is my top 5 list of MUST do’s at UIC on your own during your free periods:

1. Rec Center (Gym)- FREE drop in classes and sauna to relax. 

The gym offers free classes like Cycle Express, Bootcamp, Hardcore, and many others. Check out the schedule here. I have tried all three and it really feels good to know that I got in a different and fun workout. The instructors are trained graduate students and some are instructors at other gyms outside of UIC. If you’re not up for a workout then try the pool area. It has two lanes, a jacuzzi and a sauna. There is usually few people so don’t worry about feeling uncomfortable. It’s your time to relax! 

2.       Commuter Center– FREE new movies airing once a month, FREE coffee everyday!

The Commuter Center is for everyone on campus not only commuters, just swipe your ICard and you’re in! There is a calendar on the wall right when you walk in showing the movie and the date it’s being aired. The movie will air multiple times a day and there will be snacks so come early to get a seat and popcorn. Also, if you play video games, they have game day too! I really take advantage of this place and you should too. I get a locker every year to put my gym bag or other stuff which I don’t want to carry with me around class. I use the fridge like it’s my own and FREE coffee to start my days.

3.       Go to a random lectures on campus.

Lectures are interesting when the speakers are big shot authors of a book you read. You just have to scroll through all the events and find a lecture you’re interested in learning more about. You can also sign up to participate in research and some even pay you for your time. Here is a link to the events at UIC, check it out and mark your calendars!

4.       University Hall 2nd floor

I like to come here because it’s bright and there are comfortable lounge chairs all around the large windows. It’s a great place to read, have lunch, or watch your next episode of Friends on Netfix! 

5.       Visit your professor’s office hours.

It doesn’t have to be a question, but stop in and say hi! They usually have nothing to do during those hours, but check their email. It’s a good idea to tell them something about yourself and why you’re interested in the class. They might even know someone in your field to help you find a future job. After talking to them one-on-one you will feel more comfortable to participate during class and sometimes they will ask questions that you two talked about! Bonus, they will remember you when it comes time for grading. A+

Hi, I'm Raluca. -Senior at UIC, graduating with a BA in Psychology and I have a lot of chemistry courses for Pharmacy School. -I was born and raised in Romania for 6 years of my life and continue to celebrate Romanian traditions. I can teach you some! -I enjoy jogging, yoga, playing tennis, blogging, and all things health.
UIC Contributor.