5 Easy Habits That Will Actually Make Your Morning Better

Mornings can either be the best or worst part of your day -- we all choose to approach them differently. There are the early birds (which I’m not convinced actually exist), who wake up at five, do a workout, eat an acai bowl and then get dressed, with the help of those birds from Cinderella, while Elton John plays in the background, and all is right with the world. Then there are the ones who roll out of bed five minutes before they need to be online on Zoom and brush their teeth while they’re in the class waiting room. 

With the pandemic in full effect, it can be harder than ever to have a structured daily routine. But it turns out, having a good morning can influence the rest of your day to make you feel more rested and positive.

Here are some habits you can incorporate into your morning routine to make them just a little bit better. The best part is, you don’t need to wake up two hours earlier than your normal time to do them!

1. 1. Morning Affirmations

Morning affirmations are a powerful way to harness positive energy and incorporate it into your day. At first, it might seem a little silly to repeat things like, "I’m the coolest kid in school" into the mirror, but you can definitely choose your own affirmations that you want to apply into your own life. You can also write them in a journal instead of saying them aloud, or record yourself saying it once and listen to it every morning.This will help you feel more energized and ready to take on your day. And if it doesn't end up working for you, no harm done, right?

2. 2. Journaling

bullet journal

I’m sure you’ve heard this one before, and a lot of people don’t want to go for this because it seems a little juvenile to keep a "diary". But a journal can actually be whatever you want it to be. You can use it to complete your morning affirmations, write about how you’re feeling, or even write a poem. If you aren’t feeling particularly peachy one morning, you can even make a list of all the things in the world that piss you off. For me, it’s misogyny, zoos, and day-of-the-week socks.

Some people get really creative with their journals, and add graphics, stickers, or art. Search on Pinterest for inspiration, if you're interested!

3. 3. Stretch Yoga

Zoom University has given everyone a completely different college experience and it comes with a lot of new problems for students. One of them is posture. For me, all this time spent hunched over a laptop has given me the spine of a sixty year old. Stretch yoga can help combat that. It can also help with anxiety and stress. Loosening those muscles releases tension in your body and mind, and it gives you time to focus on yourself in the morning. Here’s a great 10-minute stretch routine by Cassey Ho that you can follow, if you don’t know where to start.

4. 4. Drink a Glass of Water

This might seem simple, but it's really important. When you wake up in the morning, you probably haven't had water for about seven or eight hours. Even if you don’t feel thirsty, you are severely dehydrated in the mornings. Just down a glass before having your morning coffee and you’ll feel healthier and more energetic. A lot of skincare influencers actually swear by a cup of hot water with lemon every morning in order to maintain a glowy complexion.

5. 5. Don't Pick Up Your Phone Right Away

I think the most attractive aspect of having a morning routine is that the time is yours. You can better prepare yourself for your day in a peaceful environment, since you don’t have anyone else you owe that time to. Staying away from your phone for an hour, or even just half an hour, can give your time to pamper and focus on yourself, because you work hard and deserve it.

None of these habits take long, and adding them to your routine can make your mornings a little more bearable, without having to get up hours earlier than usual. 

Happy snoozing!