V-Day Celebrations For All Relationship Types

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UGA chapter.

February 14th. We love it or we dread it, but still it’s inevitably coming….in a matter of weeks. This isn’t our typical high school “buy your cutie a carnation” date, either. We’re in college: the big leagues. Either way, whether you’re in that foggy zone of undefined relations or you are getting hot n’ heavy with your boy toy, don’t fear! I’ve got just the answers for you to make this year’s the best V Day yet!

Single

This is easy. Go out, pig out, and hang out with your girls. Stick together and call it Single’s Appreciation Day!

You’re “Talking…” you think?

We all know what this means. You’ve been texting some guy you met downtown that you’ve kissed once or twice in a bar. Maybe you’ve even done the sober hangout! Still, you’re at that in between space and it’s really unsure if you guys will even be a thing still in just a couple of weeks. At the same time, though, there’s total potential. You don’t want to mess this up; it’s the perfect opportunity to secure your spot on his FB relationship status. Well, here’s what you can do:

What to wear: So you’ve got this fish on the line (and he is a catch!), but you still have to reel him in. Let’s not take it over board (after all, you’re not trying too hard…your options are open ;) ), but still look hot. Try wearing your favorite jeans –maybe even those ones with the decorated pockets, and a fitted red or pink shirt. Match that with a scarf and cute earrings, paint your fingernails, and you’re ready! You can pair that with cute vans, or even throw on some flat boots!

What to do: This totally depends on what you two have done so far. Keep it casual! How about dinner and a movie? This keeps it comfortable, and you don’t have the stress of a restaurant “who’s gonna pay and where should we go?” date scenario. Light some candles in your room and pick a cute rom-com from Red Box. Besides…this totally leaves room for after movie cuddling!

What to buy: You aren’t official, so don’t try to pretend like you are – it will scare him off. Let him do some work today. Just play it cool and inexpensive. Decorate a homemade card with a cheesy, but not sappy, little rhyme. Pinterest has tons of cute expressions and cards to make. You could even make him brownies or cookies if you really want to be sweet (pun totally intended).

*TIP: Go easy on the perfume since you’ll be laying together for the movie anyway. Try a body spray instead and you’ll smell subtly good all night (and he’ll have to scoot closer to you to smell it!)

Newly DTR’d

You did it! He finally stepped up to the plate and popped the question. You two are in lala land and it’s oh so obvious…every time you go out you still get the “aww omg you guys are sooooo cute together!” That is, until you start making out publicly and everyone just wants to throw up. Anyway, I digress. This can be tricky because you want to show your boyfriend you care, but you do NOT want to be a clingy, sappy girlfriend.

What to wear: At this point, he’s seen you at your best and worst (yeah, you remember that first morning you woke up with crusty left over makeup eyes and ratty last night’s hair). Well, tonight is a whole new era. You need to remind him why he claimed you, girl! That’s right, because you are HOT! I’m assuming you two will go on a date together, so out smoke all the other girls out and try a tight red or black mini, black patterned tights (I swear by TJ MAXX), flat leather boots (or high heels if you really want to make a statement), and a festive v neck top (push up bras… or the “boob mirage” is totally acceptable and encouraged on this holiday). Accessorize with some bangles and matching hoops and don’t forget the lipstick!

*TIP: Red and pink lipsticks are proven to make teeth look yellower. Stick to browns and your teeth will beam (besides, you want a new cute prof pic!)

What to do: At this point, you’ve been on a date before, so you don’t need to feel nervous about dinner. Don’t pressure him into taking you somewhere expensive. We’re in college, and you want your man to know you think he’s awesome even if he takes you to McDonald’s! You also don’t want him to think you’re high maintenance. It’s about the effort. After dinner, suggest going to have dessert or a glass of wine. Pauley’s has great crepes and good deals on wine, or you can go the homemade route and come home to it! After hours, set the mood, and just enjoy each other. Guys love when you build them up, so tell him a few things that you admire about him! You guys are so cute at this stage that anything will make for a great date.

What to buy: Keep it cute, sexy, romantic, and fun. Those key words make for the best budding relationship. Make him a cheesy Valentine, or print off a picture of you two from CVS and frame it. It’s simple, but sweet. Who says you can’t tease your cutie, too? Hit up Victoria’s Secret for come cute pink and red nighties, or if you want a less expensive route, check out Rue 21 for some affordable lingerie! Be romantic. Take time to show him you really care by making a CD of love songs that you two like! Lastly, and I would argue most important, have fun. If you’re gonna be with this guy for a while, you have to have fun together. Buy him something that the two of you can enjoy – the more experiences you do together, the stronger you will grow. You can go as inexpensive as going mini golfing or go-karting or to the Atlanta aquarium, to as expensive as sky diving! That part is up to you.

In it for the Long Haul

You’ve spent at least one Valentine’s Day together, so it isn’t your first rodeo. This just means you have to top last year. At the same time, though, it isn’t as much pressure because you’re so in love, he’s not going anywhere for a while. Plan on planning and plan on saving for this holiday, because it’s a bigger ‘staple’ holiday when you’ve been established for some time.

What to wear: Guys try to pretend like they don’t pay attention to detail, but they do. Most likely, he remembers exactly what you were wearing on the night you looked most beautiful. Keep that in mind. But if you really want to impress him, impress yourself! Confidence is key. Get your nails done, put on your favorite lotion, and hot roll your hair. Sometimes in serious relationships, we get in ruts and forget that we still need to impress our boyfriends. Put on a sexy pair of stilettos and wear that LBD you’ve been dying to take out. Match it with classy jewelry, but BE CAUTIOUS! If you’re serious, chances are you might be getting some type of jewelry from him, and you don’t want him to feel undermined by what you’re already wearing. Still, being completely bare may make him feel like you planned it. Find your happy medium.

What to do: Alright, so you probably have a favorite place by now. Try something new! Be fun and remember what it was like when everything was fresh. Make reservations (or maybe he’ll surprise you by choosing), and have him pick you up – first date style. After that, enjoy a movie, or go out with mutual friends! The beauty of being serious is being able to enjoy together time and time with other couples. Hit up downtown for a while! (Papadosio plays at the Ga Theatre at 8 on V Day). Discover things together.

What to buy: So your first Valentine’s Day together was totally a test run. Now you’re in the saddle and you know what he likes and doesn’t. Start paying attention in the weeks leading up to Valentine’s day. How about that new watch he’s been wanting? Or a professional tie? (guys love when you make them feel all business like). Still, do something a little more, too. I saw this awesome craft – you take a huge basket and fill it with things that remind you of him. It’s quirky and cute, and you can label all of the objects. For example, make him his favorite dessert and say “you’re so sweet!” This can be as pricey as you want it to be.

*TIP: Pinterest has TONS of boards for craft ideas that your man will love!

Well, there you have it ladies! It’s time to get ready for that holiday everyone hates to love and loves to hate! Well, some of us just love it. Anyway, make it an awesome night, and share some smooches! XOXOXO

2nd year Alpha Chi Omega Pre Grady student at UGA. Check out my articles!