‘Thor: Ragnarok’ Smashes Expectations

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UGA chapter.

Thor: Ragnarok is already the Marvel movie with the best reviews, and it’s not for no reason. The third installment in the Thor franchise is a lighter turn from its predecessors with a rocking soundtrack and spot-on comedic performances from the returning and new cast. If you have no memory of the first two movies, no worries, you won’t feel like you’re missing any information.

Basically, Hela (Cate Blanchett), has returned to Asgard to take it over and rule the whole universe, the normal villain shtick. Blanchett clearly had a lot of fun with the role so it was fun to watch Hela in all her evil glory. She banishes Thor (Chris Hemsworth) and Loki (Tom Hiddleston) to Sakaar which is a realm ruled by The Grandmaster (Jeff Goldblum), a Caesar Flickerman-style character with very low morals but very flashy style. Loki has better luck than Thor on Sakaar, and the elder brother ends up having to fight against a friend from work, The Hulk (Mark Ruffalo). In Sakaar, Thor also befriends stand-out new character Korg (Taika Waititi, who also directed the film), and warrior turned alcoholic turned warrior Valkyrie (Tessa Thompson). Without spoiling the ending, there’s many long battle scenes but plenty of humor that overall made for an enjoyable movie.

One of the best moments of the movies was when Loki was called out for turning good and then betraying everyone, over and over again. It was a very self-aware line, the writers letting the audience know that they know his character development is a straight line. A disappointing but overall not devastating loss was the overall reveal that Jane (Natalie Portman) and Thor had broken up (but it was mutual!). They may pursue a Thor and Valkyrie relationship in the future, but romance was not key in Ragnarok, which can be preferable in these superhero movies that can try to force one into the storyline. 

Some extra notes:

• Apparently, Valkyrie’s name is Valkyrie. They kept saying she was a Valkyrie, but was never actually referred to her with a name.
  • Matt Damon’s uncredited cameo is one of the best things ever as is Luke Hemsworth’s.
  • Benedict Cumberbatch also briefly appeared as Doctor Strange.
  • I didn’t know I needed to see Loki in a tight black suit, but here we are.
  • Is it time for Infinity War yet?

Gifs from giphy.

Title photo courtesy of Marvel.

Maggie is pursing a Public Relations degree with a certificate in Public Affairs Communications at the University of Georgia. Her favorite cities are Washington, D.C. and Orlando, Florida. Her regular Starbucks order is a grande iced vanilla coffee, and you can find her on Instagram and Twitter @maggie_cav.