Sonia Hundal: Taking Freshman Year by Storm

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UGA chapter.

Sonia Hundal is a freshman from John’s Creek, Georgia, and she’s double majoring in intended economics and international business, with a minor in Spanish. While freshman year intimidates some, Sonia dove headfirst into everything UGA’s many organizations had to offer for leadership and service opportunities. 

What organizations are you involved with on-campus?

I am currently training to be a Dawg Camp counselor for this upcoming summer, I am a part of Student Government Association’s Freshman Forum, and I am the president of a new club called The Supper Club.

What made you decide to get involved with these specific organizations?

I have always been passionate about community service. Coming to University of Georgia, I knew Athens is one the poorest cities in the nation so I wanted to continue serving the community. Both Freshman Forum and The Supper Club are focused on service. I decided to apply to be a Dawg Camp counselor because I wanted the chance to mentor incoming first-years. As a former Dawg Camp camper, I know how valuable the friendships and mentorships developed are.

What made you decide to do Dawg Camp before the school year started, and why did you love it so much?

I initially decided to sign up for Dawg Camp because I wanted to make new friends before starting college. Before attending the camp, I was a bit doubtful; I had no idea what to expect. However, I can honestly say now that going to Dawg Camp has been one of the best decisions I have made since coming to UGA. I gained leadership skills and learned about UGA traditions. Essentially, I came into college with a big Dawg Camp family. Still to this day, I see Dawg Camp people everywhere I go and I can easily connect with people who attended. Overall, Dawg Camp taught me the importance of community and vulnerability—things that I have come to sincerely value.

What’s been your favorite part of Freshman Forum?

My favorite part of Freshman Forum has been the people. As a first-year, I was exposed to some of the current and future student leaders on campus. I have fostered life-long friendships and developed mentorships with upperclassman. Although Freshman Forum is over now, I plan to keep in touch with the people I met.

What do you do at UGArden?

I have been volunteering at UGArden through Freshman Forum. Recently, we helped pull out weeds with various tools. I plan to volunteer there again in the near future when I will be able to help harvest the food.

What’s been the most challenging part of freshman year?

The most challenging part of freshman year for me has been figuring out what I want to major in. My older brother has always had big expectations for me and I never wanted to disappoint him nor my parents. Also, it was never the best moment when I got rejected from an organization. It was always tough at first, however, I learned to accept that a rejection just means that the position was not right for me.

What’s the most fun part of freshman year?

The most fun part of freshman year for me has meeting new people and making friends. Many of the people that I have met from all over the United States. I’ve even met some people from places outside the United States.

What’s your favorite restaurant in Athens?

My favorite restaurant in Athens is definitely Cali N Tito’s.

Maggie is pursing a Public Relations degree with a certificate in Public Affairs Communications at the University of Georgia. Her favorite cities are Washington, D.C. and Orlando, Florida. Her regular Starbucks order is a grande iced vanilla coffee, and you can find her on Instagram and Twitter @maggie_cav.