Should You Apply to be on ‘The Bachelor’?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UGA chapter.

After keeping up with the past couple of seasons of The Bachelor and The Bachelorette, I had to wonder… Is it worth it? Some agree and believe people can find love on national television. Even if you don’t, you have to admit there are some crazy perks to still being on the show. Ultimately, if you are on a season though, it should be to find love. Scroll through this list of pros and cons to being a contestant on The Bachelor. Could you do it? 

Con: Sharing your boyfriend with 20+ women

It’s not fun to see someone else all over your man, especially one you could see potentially sharing the rest of your life with. 

Pro: Fame (whether it is Corrine or Amanda status)

In the words of Juliette Barnes from Nashville, “Any publicity is good publicity.” Well, it’s supposed to be.

Con: It’s like you are on a deserted island. NO TECHNOLOGY! 

In order to keep who goes home every week a secret, the girls are cut off from friends, family, and basically the whole world. According to this article on Bustle, Allure magazine interviewed former Bachelor contestant Jillian Harris about the subject and she said, “When the cameras aren’t rolling, they don’t want you to talk to anyone. And there are no phones, computers, newspapers, nothing. Only producers. Your body becomes starved for a connection with anyone, which makes it easier to fall in love. You’re starving for that intimacy. It was like Stockholm syndrome, but it’s a TV show.” 

Pro: The never-ending food

According to the same article in Bustle, producers on the show stock up on anything the contestants want and need for their dietary restrictions. There is also an abundance of alcohol as seen from contestants getting very tipsy on camera.

Con: You bring your own clothes and makeup

With the exception of the finale, girls have to style themselves and do their own hair and makeup. This can be a daunting task, especially when millions of viewers are judging you on TV. 

Con: America is judging you.

Let’s face it. Reality TV loves to have villains. Video editing can highlight someone’s flaws and make things seem bigger than they naturally are. Even though it’s life-changing to get noticed on TV, it may not be so great when you have to go back to normal life where people recognize you for your mistakes. 

Pro: When you make it past the first night you get a gift bag full of makeup, clothes, and jewelry.

Even if you don’t get paid, free things are alway a plus. This article from Buzzfeed shares this fact among other things you might not have realized from The Bachelor.

Pro: If you end up engaged to the bachelor by the end of the show and stay with him for two years, according to this article, you get to keep the very, very expensive engagement ring.

Con: You can’t eat on camera.

The sound messes with the mics. Have you noticed they never touch their food on dates? 

Pro: TRAVELING

You get to travel to so many amazing places all over the country and even the world!

Con: It can be boring at times.

With no technology or connections connecting you to the outside world, it can be boring lounging around if you are not on a spectacular one-on-one or group date.

Pro: You get to meet so many amazing girls.

Some of them actually end up very good friends, like Lauren and Amanda from Ben’s season. 

Con: you have to put your life on hold.

You would probably have a job, family, and friends you would have to leave for at most a couple of months. Keep that in mind.

Pro: If you get proposed to

Con: If you don’t get proposed to

Pro: If you don’t get proposed to, you have the chance of being on The Bachelorette or Bachelor in Paradise.

Think Jade and Tanner. They got a happily ever after and met on Bachelor in Paradise.

Does it sound worth it to you? If you are 21 and the pros are outweighing the cons for you here is a link to apply. We just might see you on national television one day!

I am a freshman at The University of Georgia this year who is an intended journalism major.