10 Things You Can Relate to Being the “Mom” of Your Friend Group

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UGA chapter.

You don’t how you ended up as the “mom” of your friend group, but it seems like you are stuck in the position for life once you get it. Either you are highly responsible and the role came naturally to you or your friends are very unresponsible and you were the best option. Either way, you have to take care of your “kids” once you are deemed the parent. If you find yourself thinking that you may fit in this category here are some things you can relate to.

1. “Find My Friends” is an app you use constantly, especially on the weekends.

Whether they are partying or not, you find yourself making sure all of your friends are safe at home before you fall asleep.

2. You plan EVERYTHING.

This is something you probably do not want to do but stuck doing. Your friends can’t make plans to save a life, so somebody has to do it. 

3. You give advice like it’s your job.

Your second title is the personal therapist, always a support system for when they need you. You tell them how it is, not what they want to hear.

4. Late isn’t in your vocabulary.

*Leaves for a 4pm class at 3:20 when it is a ten-minute walk*

5. Motivational texts come easily to you.

It’s like you’ve got them stored in your phone notes for bad days, break-ups, or just for a spontaneous boost. 

6. Cleaning is a natural instinct.

You know when you are too much of a mom when you vacuum and do the dishes for your friend because you can’t stand their dirty room anymore. 

7. You flip to HGTV or TLC on the TV in your spare time.

House Hunters is essential to life. No questions asked.

8. You are always the least lit when going out.

It’s a blessing and a curse.

9. Unintentionally, you play hostess making sure your friends are perfectly situated when they come over.

‘Hostess with the mostess’ has a nice ring to it. 

10. Your purse is a never-ending bag of snack and emergency items. 

You could probably survive the apocalypse with all the supplies in that thing.

In the end, be proud of your “mom” status. Nobody cares about your friends like you do, and they are grateful to have someone like you even if they don’t realize it as often as they should. Tag a friend that you think is your “mom.”

I am a freshman at The University of Georgia this year who is an intended journalism major.