This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

I’m sure most people reading this right now have experienced some type of struggle with their skin — acne, dark marks, redness, and so on. Like many others, my relationship with my skin has a rocky history. Entering puberty is when everything went awry. Normal hormonal changes coupled with no knowledge of how to properly treat my skin left me riddled with angry acne and skin so oily it was impossible to control. I have always had oily skin but during this time my skin was in overdrive producing oil that clogged all of my pores. Even though I expected myself to have acne (runs in both sides of my family), I could never have expected the rapid decline in confidence it caused.

Several trials with various topical medications and oral antibiotics resulted in fruitless efforts. I remember so clearly how uncomfortable I felt in my skin. I used to cover my redness and acne scars in a layer of foundation before heading out to school. There used to be a time where I couldn’t leave my house without some type of concealing product covering my skin condition.

A couple years ago, I made a decision to stop trying topical treatments and antibiotics and instead begin Accutane. This is not a decision to be taken lightly. With my dermatologist’s consent and guidance and my mother’s research, I began the treatment. The typical patients using Accutane suffer from painful cystic acne and while I did not have that skin condition, my dermatologist suggested the program for my stubborn form of acne.

I took Accutane for about seven months. I was very fortunate not to experience the scarier side effects (depression, changes in behavior, etc.) associated with the pill. However, the extreme dryness and joint pain are bothersome. My lips and face were in a constant state of dryness that often left my skin cracked. Luckily, I experienced minimal joint pain. In the end, my skin became clearer than ever before, and I was regaining my confidence, but considering this medication should not be taken lightly. Do your research.

Now, let’s get into my current skincare routine. My goal for my skin now is to properly clean it and use products that will reveal radiant skin while controlling shine and breakouts. Let’s break down my routine.

Morning Routine

My morning routine is minimal and focuses on cleansing and moisturizing.

Step 1: I wash my face with Cetaphil Daily Facial Cleanser.

I have found this cleanser to be gentle and soothing. It also leaves my face feeling soft and clean without any residue.

Step 2 & Step 3: I pump two small dollops of Aveeno Positively Radiant Daily Moisturizer with Sunscreen Broad Spectrum SPF 15 onto my face.

Then, I use two drops of the Herbiarie Rosehip Facial Oil and mix the two products together. Remember, press the oil into the skin. The formula is definitely on the creamier and denser side, which I am surprised I like. Usually my oily skin does not mesh well with thicker moisturizers, but I continue to repurchase this moisturizer because although it is creamier, it melts onto the skin nicely and offers great hydration without feeling sticky. The rosehip oil also helps with hydration and produces a beautiful glow while helping me with my dark marks and acne scars.

Nighttime Routine

Step 1: I tone with Pixi Skintreats Glow Tonic (I also use Dickinson’s Original Witch Hazel Pore Perfecting Toner).

This might be TMI, but it is the most satisfying thing when you see how much gunk your toner has removed. (Am I right, or am I right?)

Step 2: This next step is more designed for my own needs. I use a small dollop of Aczone (5%) to remove bacteria and prevent breakouts. After Accutane, my dermatologist prescribed this topical medication to keep my skin in check.

Step 3: Next, I use a few drops of Pixi Skintreats Overnight Glow Serum.

This product is an exfoliating gel that helps reveal brighter and more radiant skin. For this product, you have to judge how much to put on your skin since the dropper is not very useful for the thicker product.

Step 4 & Step 5: I mix E.L.F Nourishing Night Cream and the Herbiarie Rosehip Facial Oil for the ultimate hydrating experience.

I love the night cream because it is light and water-based, which means it is extremely comfortable. The oil and night cream together create an awesome hydrating duo that soaks into my skin.

Additional Products

I use Mario Badescu’s Drying Lotion to target breakouts and reduce redness.

Although I have this routine down packed now, it took a while for me to find products that work best on my skin and reap positive results. By experimenting with different products and understanding your skin type, you can find a routine fit for you.

UF Class of 2021. Journalism & women's studies. Viviana Moreno is a writer and online creative dedicated to exuding warmth and promoting inclusivity. She creates content that fuels truth and curiosity through her contributions to publications that seek to empower and inform primarily college-aged individuals.