This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

Founded in Canada during the late 90s, the eighteen-year-old athletic brand is seeking new heights in their fame and fortune as Lululemon becomes a worldwide phenomenon. In the era of marathon junkies or yogi masters, it specializes in lycra-infused fabric which is stretchy and comfortable for workouts.

Product manager for Lululemon Josh Hiney states, “What we do is build functionality into the garment in a way that you might not even know it’s there. But it’s working for you behind the scenes, doing everything that you need.”

Sounds great, right? But looking at the price tag might shock you with the average lycra-blend tank coming in at $48. Ouch. Of course, Lululemon gives a 100 percent love-it guarantee and has a free shipping and free returns policy.

But does expensive athletic fashion necessarily incline us to workout? Does the clothing we wear influence the way we think and act? According to a 2013 study, researchers concluded that the psychological phenomenon coined “enclothed cognition” does incline us to workout.

Researcher Galinsky argues, “It’s all about the symbolic meaning that you associate with a particular item of clothing.”

When consumers invest in $98 dollars worth of WunderUnder leggings we ourselves become more active and inclined to hit the gym more.

In the recent years, competitors to the Canadian brand have sprung up, such as Athleta and Fabletics.

Tied to mega corporation GAP, Athleta aims to “ignite a community of active, healthy, confident women and girls who empower each other to realize their limitless potential.”

Here, your typical cost for leggings are $89 (Pro tip: always click on the sale tab for half-priced pairs) and tanks for $44. In addition, the brand sells casual, comfortable clothes such as cardigans, pants, scarves, outerwear and New Balance shoes.

Founded by actress and fitness junkie Kate Hudson, who teamed up with JustFabInc, Fabletics surfaced in 2013 with $235 million in sales.

This is their mission statement: “At Fabletics, we create clothing that inspires you to stay active, whether that means competing in an iron(wo)man competition, sweating in the studio, or chasing after your kids. Our on-trend designs are high in quality at prices you’ll feel good about. This is where the inspiration starts. Beyond the clothing, we foster a community of people who embrace our mantra – “Live Your Passion” – every day.”

In addition, what makes the brand even more unique is that upon entering the site, you are asked to take a pop quiz to curate the most workable outfit for your fit endeavors and lifestyle. A person will be asked their favorite colors, favorite type of workout, favorite place to workout, body type and size.

Senior president of women’s fitness club CHAARG, Dea Opari, gives her opinion on Lululemon’s hype.

“I only own a pair of leggings from Lulu. Their leggings are really nice but their items are pricey for a college student. Are their leggings quality? Absolutely. But can you get relatively the same quality cheaper? Of course. I would never buy more than 3 pairs of them.”

As you can see, Lululemon does have high quality activewear, but it comes with a hefty price tag. Look for sales, and check out Athleta and Fabletics for slightly less expensive clothing with the same great quality.