ICYMI: Obama’s Farewell Address

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

It was in his hometown, Chicago, that soon-to-be former president Obama gave his farewell address last Tuesday night. In his speech, Obama reminisced on the past eight years of his presidency, recounting both the successes and setbacks he faced in office.

As I sat on the couch livestreaming thanks to Youtube, I realized that I wasn’t ready to see the Obama family leave the White House just yet and neither were those in the audience chanting “four more years.” It was his words on democracy that set the nation at ease and reminded us that his legacy will live on.

This past Wednesday, Mr. Obama gave his last news conference, where he expressed his enjoyment working with the press. “It keeps us honest, it makes us work harder,” he said.

Unlike President Trump’s skepticism towards the media, Obama stated that “America needs you and our democracy needs you.”

Here are some of the most memorable (tear jerker) moments of Obama’s final presidential appearances.

He spoke about change

“I am asking you to believe. Not in my ability to bring about change – but in yours.”

Seriously, Obama, this came in clutch to hear as an overwhelmed and confused spring semester senior. He spoke about all the changes that have been brought about since he first stepped into office, but didn’t fail to stress just how much more change must be made. He stated that “laws alone won’t be enough” to create a deeper sense of unity in this country but that “hearts must change.”

He gave a lot of thanks

If I ever feel underestimated or in need of inspiration, I have Obama’s farewell address to watch. He spoke to the nation like a proud parent, saying “The only thing that makes me prouder than all the good we’ve done is the thought of all the remarkable things you’ll achieve from here.”

During his final press conference, he thanked the media for their “extraordinary service to our democracy.”

Cue tears.

He thanked Michelle and his daughters

Just when I thought I couldn’t get more into my feelings, he spoke about Michelle. Both Obama and I were holding back tears as he spoke about his wife. He gushed, “You made the White House a place that belongs to everybody. And a new generation sets its sights higher because it has you as a role model. You’ve made me proud. You’ve made the country proud.”

We’ve heard before just how inspired Obama is about the way his daughters see the world, and he couldn’t leave the White House without publicly leaving all the dad jokes aside and admiring their kindness and passion. He ended his message to his daughters with a real tug at your heartstrings when he said, “Of all that I’ve done in my life, I’m most proud to be your dad.”

When asked during his final news conference if he would explore the political arena again, he said he “want[s] to spend precious time with [his] girls.”

He kept the bromance alive

Adding to the Obama-Biden memes, Obama got real bromantic when addressing the vice president.  He said, “You were the first choice I made as a nominee, and the best. Not just because you have been a great vice president, but because in the bargain, I gained a brother.”

Biden answered in tears.

Obama made sure to let the country know that he’s not going to fall off the face of the planet and leave us all wondering whatever happened to that president we had for eight years. “I won’t stop; in fact, I will be right there with you, as a citizen, for all my days that remain,” he reassured.

Thank you, Mr. Obama, for inspiring us and reminding us that ‘Yes we can.’

Our newly sworn in President, Donald Trump, took office this past Friday. During his speech he shunned politicians that are “all talk and no action,” made sure to put a spotlight on “us” the people, and stressed his rule of “Buy American and hire American.”

Photo credits: www.digitaltrends.com

Natalie Cardenas is a fourth year Political Science and Spanish major at the University of Florida. She is from Miami, so Spanglish is basically her first language. She enjoys watching Friends, obsessing over stationery, and lives in black leggings. This past summer she interned with Latina Magazine in NYC, and fell in love with the city life. She plans on booking a one way ticket to the Big Apple after graduation.