Wellness > Health

Fitness with Finesse: How to Set and Reach Your Fitness Goals

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

College is hard. We students have to balance classes, studying, extracurricular activities, clubs and a social life. You feel helpless when it comes to exercising, and it may start to seem like you’ll never reach your fitness goals. I’m here to help you stay motivated to set and achieve three main goals while still managing everything else!

1. I want to lose weight.Losing weight is 70 percent diet and 30 percent exercise. Yes, you still have to break a sweat to reach your desirable goal weight, but if your diet doesn’t match, nothing will happen. As college students, we have a tendency to rely on Kraft Easy Mac and fast food. To reach your goal weight, you’re going to have to throw away the leftover pizza, and pick up an apple. It is difficult to eat healthy in college; we love to satisfy stress and reward ourselves after an exam with Midnight Cookies and pokey stix. Since it isn’t always convenient to sit down and cook a whole meal, try to substitute unhealthy snacks with protein bars and protein shakes that you can eat on the way to class. Quest protein bars and Pure Protein shakes are loaded with protein that will keep you feeling full longer, and they don’t taste like cardboard! Cut out the midnight cravings, and when you go out to eat with friends, choose a healthier option.Getting enough sleep is also tied into weight loss, so try to turn off the Netflix at 1 a.m., and get at least seven hours of sleep each night. Plan out your meals and snacks for the week, and every time you deviate from your routine, add 50 more squats to your next set!

2. I want to build muscle.Some women think that they have to work out every day for two hours to build muscle, and other women think that if they lift weights, they’ll look like a body builder. These statements are entirely false (hello, Jen Selter!). Building muscle is a gradual process, so start with going to the gym three times a week. In other words, make going to the gym like an extra three-credit attendance-based class. You have to pretend skipping the gym is like skipping a class. Schedule it in when you have time, and stick to it.Resistance training, lifting weights, boot camp classes and total body classes are all great ways to start building muscle. Choose the option you like best and find the most fun. If you look forward to going to the gym, then you’re more likely to not give in to procrastination.

3. I want to boost endurance.The best way to boost your endurance is to practice cardio. Like building muscle, try to fit in one hour of cardio three times a week, whether you do so by running through campus, doing stadiums, swimming, jogging on the treadmill or taking a fitness class at Southwest Recreation Center or Student Recreation & Fitness Center. No matter which choice of cardio you like best, make sure you stay hydrated. Drinking plenty of water before, during and after your workout will keep you feeling your best. If you don’t feel well working out, you won’t want to do it again.Mix up your choice of cardio to keep it interesting, so you don’t get bored. Working out with a friend is a great way to stay motivated as well. If you and a friend agree to meet at certain times during the week to work out together, you have a responsibility and are less likely to skip. You and your friend can also support and cheer on each other. If you keep track of your exercises, you’ll begin to see a change. Seeing this improvement in your abilities will keep you motivated to continue doing what you’re doing.

Make sure you keep your eye on the prize by sticking to your plan and routine. Working out with a purpose and goal in mind will make it a lot easier to stay on track. Do not make working out something you dread. Exercise is a great way to relieve all the stress you get from school! Regardless, it’s important to give yourself time to relax during your hectic schedule, and make sure you’re eating healthy and sleeping well. Set and stick to realistic goals, and over time, the proper results will show. Stay focused, collegiettes!