Black Girl Beauty Landing Hero Image

African Goddesses Everyone Should Know About

When you think of Africa, what do you think of? Too many people believe that Africa was uncivilized before Europeans transported its citizens to the New World. Africa was and still is home to so much history and excellence. Black women were worshipped highly and remembered through moments of adversity during the transatlantic slave trade. Certain goddesses inspired resistance while others inspired survival, and some are still cherished today. 

The continent of Africa is so diverse. One practice may be sacred in one area that is unspeakable in other regions. This variety of cultures means that there is also a fantastic variety of African Goddesses. There are dozens of Goddesses, all with different meanings. Here are six African Goddesses and what they represent. 

Isis 

Some of you may be familiar with the Ancient Egyptian Goddess. Isis represents life and magic. She supported women and children and healed the sick. Her long wings, tattooed on Rihanna’s ribcage, are iconic. 

Maat 

Maat is the Goddess of truth and equity. She is sometimes drawn with wings on each of her arms because her sibling, Shu, also wears wings on each arm. It links them across time and space to be together and represents familial love. 

Menhit

Menhit is the Nubian war Goddess. She implies that she is a champion and is worshipped as being a winner. She's strong not in spite of the fact that she is a woman, but because of it.

Moneiba 

Moneiba was the defender and protector of women, worshipped on the island of Hierro. Moneiba is known as having similar influences on men and being a force to be reckoned with. 

Oshun

Oshun is essential to the Yoruba people. She is a waterway divinity that represents fertility, femininity, beauty and love. She is often associated with fate and divination. She is known as the African Goddess for love. 

Nut 

The Egyptian Goddess of the sky, sometimes displayed next to the African God of the Earth, hint that the two are together. One to rule the heavens and one to rule the Earth. Nut engulfed the sun at night and would bring it back to begin the next day.

Do your best to make as many efforts to learn and appreciate the many complexities of African history. There is so much to know when you aren’t subscribed to a Eurocentric point of view.