Culture > Digital

The Problematic Ideals Of The Glorified TikTok “That Girl”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSD chapter.

We all know “That Girl”. She gets up at 6 A.M., goes to the gym, reads philosophy, eats kale salads, and washes it all down with a glass of organic lemon and celery green juice. Basically, she has her whole life together and looks effortlessly beautiful while doing it all.

To me, the idea of “That Girl” is what the quintessential Girl Boss would look like if they preferred Lululemon and oat milk lattes over pantsuits and espresso martinis.

It’s a lifestyle that’s culturally significant because it’s a direct reflection of what we as a society value today.

Investigating Implications

It’s important to take an investigative approach while observing social phenomenons, and repeatedly seeing “That Girl” on social media often leaves us wondering, “How does she have her life so perfectly together? And how does she manage to look so good while doing it?”

Clean eating, strict routines, and constantly striving for professional success all seem beautiful from the outside, but if we look at it on a deeper level, there is a very apparent tie to capitalism.

Essentially, “That Girl” is what I imagine as the physical embodiment of hustle culture, but rebranded in a more feminine, aesthetic approach.

Humans aren’t wired to be productive 100% of the time, nor should this be a goal we strive toward. Productivity is amazing, as it can lead to innovations that change the social worlds we live in. But, it can turn toxic when we internalize this attitude, and this can be seen in the phenomenon of, cue drum-roll

Internalized Capitalism.

Anders Hayden, a political science professor at Dalhousie University states, “Internalized capitalism is this idea that our self-worth is directly linked to our productivity,”

Internalized capitalism often leads people to feel guilty about taking time to rest, and leaves a lingering feeling that they’re constantly not doing enough with their lives. Additionally, it often results in people finding value solely in their accomplishments and work.

But this sentiment distracts us from the intrinsic value in living. There’s already value in simply being a human being, and it’s something we’re all born with already.

Social media will continue feeding us these images of what an “ideal woman” in the modern age looks like, but it’s problematic when we compare ourselves to these ideals, and consequently base of sense of self-worth on them.

For the same reasons why it’s important to have representation of diverse groups within media, it’s important to have representation of well-rounded daily routines as well. We subconsciously internalize the examples we see on our screens; and when we experience a disconnect from what’s portrayed as “normal”, and our personal experiences, it can often feel disheartening and make us question ourselves and our own place in society.

Human experience in essence is flawed, and at the end of the day, these flaws are what make it beautiful. Our struggles make growth feel that much more satisfying, and nourishing yourself with decisions that feed your own personal goals is something that we should all strive toward. But there’s a difference between doing things for your own journey, and doing things to embody a projection of what society says you should be.

Perfectionism In Itself Is Problematic

If we’re constantly comparing ourselves to perfection, it leaves no room for the beauty of the human experience.

It’s okay to take inspiration from these ideals of perfection, but we shouldn’t beat ourselves up if we fall short of these unrealistic marks. Who cares about overpriced juices anyway. Your worth comes from who you are, not what you do.

Sarah Min

UCSD '23

Sarah is currently studying Communication at the University of California, San Diego. A lover of music, coffee, art, and all things creative!