This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

Two years ago, I started a unique three-week training program. No, I was not an athlete. I was just a girl with a greasy hair problem. Most people think that if their hair is greasy, then it’s dirty, so they wash it immediately. Don’t worry, I was guilty of this too. However, after watching countless YouTube videos and reading Reddit posts until my contacts literally dried in my eyes, I finally discovered the solution to this oh-so-pressing problem. If you are a victim of perpetually flat, greasy hair, I advise you to keep reading.

The reason why your hair gets greasy so fast is probably because you’re washing it too often.

Hair naturally produces oils to protect the scalp from getting too dry. Therefore, if you wash your hair every day, your hair is constantly getting stripped of its oils and becomes drier. Your hair then starts to think that it is being dried out and will produce more and more oils to compensate for the lost ones. However, if you don’t wash your hair as often, your hair won’t produce more oils, since there is no need to replace oils that were lost. Complicated and surprising. I know.

The solution: hair training.

You need to “train” your hair to reduce its oil production by minimizing your washes for three weeks. AKA: Your hair is going to be a giant, itchy greaseball, and you’re going to need a lot of baseball caps to hide it. This means you need three weeks of a grease purge. During the first week of training, you should only wash your hair two times. Then, during weeks two and three, lessen it to once. You are going to want to wash it more often because your hair will produce heaps of grease, but stick to the plan! In the end, everything will be worth it.

Consistency is key ~

After the three week training period, you will start to realize your hair can last 3-4 days before grease starts producing. You did it! The hardest part is over. However, you should try to stick to washing only once a week for the next month or so.

Baby powder is the secret to maintaining fluffy, non-greasy hair.

Baby powder is the new dry shampoo. It’s cheap, effective and easy. During the next few days after you have washed your hair, when it feels greasy, add a little baby powder to the roots, rub it in and let it soak for a few minutes. Then, blow dry your hair upside down on high heat, followed by a shot of cold air. Hold in that position for about a minute and then flip your head over. Your voluminous hair is now ready to go!

Hopefully with these tips, you’ll never have to succumb to the horrors of greasy hair again!

Madeline is the Assistant Director of Event Marketing for UCLA's Chapter of Her Campus. She is a third-year student majoring in Communication Studies. In her free time, she enjoys watching Rom Coms, cooking, and looking at pictures of cute pugs.
Her Campus at UCLA is a proud Elite Level Chapter in the Her Campus. Our team consists of talented writers, content creators, photographers, designers, event planners and more! Follow us @HerCampusUCLA and check out HerCampus.com/school/UCLA for more articles! Feel free to contact us at hc.ucla@hercampus.com for any questions.