Restaurant Review: Maison Pickle in New York City

It's no exaggeration: Maison Pickle has the best mac and cheese you can buy. The Upper West Side spot offers — yes — pickles both kosher dill and spicy ($6), along with its famous French toast. But the real star of the show is the gooey macaroni and cheese ($14), a must-try if you stop by the French-named restaurant in New York City. It prides itself on offering American favorites, and it does tenfold.

The Nutella Banana French toast is as comforting and sweet as you can get for brunch, while the impressive tower of French toast and fried chicken (a new kind of chicken and waffles) is a show-stopper for the Southern girl at heart. 

The portion size of the French toast, which comes in a variety of flavors from berries & cream to lumber jack stack, is large enough to feed all of your girl gang and very affordable at $14 to $18. Or you can opt for the omelets, served fresh in a skillet.

Maison Pickle's interior has the vibes of a cozy French cafe, with soft orange lighting from bulbs up above. Their dining room wall is lined with shelves of liquor bottles, which create a symmetrical and colorful aesthetic. Sit by a window for a city view, or sit near the bar for easy access to cocktails (mimosas or the fresh squeezed orange juice).

Start with the soft pull apart bread; the $9 butter and honey version came piled with freshly whipped, thick butter that's basically edible all on its own. And don't forget the signature French dips — go with your friends and share two or three dishes at Maison Pickle to try a bit of everything. 

It may sound overwhelming, but truly each dish was everything it should be. The French toast was soft and melty, while the mac and cheese was like food porn. It was truly the best I've had in a restaurant. Yes, they also have salads for carb-avoiders out there, like the tuna nicoise that completely hits the spot. With an amazingly large portion size, this salad is guaranteed to fill you up and leave you satisfied. 

The eatery is a perfect start to a day in NYC. After filling up on a decadent brunch, walk through Central Park toward the Met. Take photos on the steps a la Gossip Girl or stroll through the galleries to savor the works of art. Bon appétit!