I Tried Intermittent Fasting For 2 Months But It Just Wasn’t Sustainable

Every few months or so, there seems to be a new workout regimen or crazy diet that takes over social media. The new fitness trend that has really got the internet buzzing these days is intermittent fasting. According to celebrity doctor Doctor Mike, intermittent fasting is merely a rebranding of what humans have been doing for centuries. Intermittent fasting isn’t the same thing as starving yourself. When you’re fasting, your body is using stored nutrients and stored energy forms to help your body continue to function. Fitness gurus like Brittany Dawn constantly rave about how it drastically helped them with mental sharpness, bloating, and of course, weight loss. So, after hearing about all the benefits of intermittent fasting, I finally gave it a go.

Why I Did It

From Kayla Itsines’s 12 Week BBG Program to Whole 30, I’m very guilty of experimenting with the latest fads in health and fitness. I first heard about intermittent fasting when I was in a fitness slump and hated how I looked in the mirror. Intermittent fasting mostly caught my attention because it claimed to help with weight loss. So many fitness YouTubers were talking about how they were shedding weight just by changing the time in which they ate. After doing a ton of research on intermittent fasting and seeing all the health benefits, I was definitely on board. Plus, I was already unintentionally doing a form of fasting and was used to not eating for extended periods of time. It seemed easy enough right? All I had to do was fast for 16 hours and make sure that I fit all my meals into an 8 hour eating window. I was ready to make a change, and I thought that this was the way to do it.

It’s Not A Diet, It’s A Lifestyle

When people talk about intermittent fasting, they always stress that it’s not a diet, but rather a lifestyle. You should not be changing the portions you are eating. All you have to do is make sure you’re fitting all the meals you would usually eat into a certain time frame. Intermittent fasting is great because it’s super flexible and you can adjust your eating window to whatever works best with your schedule. For me personally, this meant that I would only allow myself to eat from 2:00 PM to 10:00 PM.

When I first started intermittent fasting, it seemed like a piece of cake. I would wake up around 6 in the morning, go to the gym, and by the time I got back home and showered, it was 12:00 PM. This routine gave me 2 hours of free time before I could eat and everything seemed super normal. As the days went on though, I noticed that my eating habits began to change. I started to feel obligated to eat even when I was not hungry. Food was constantly on my mind. Since I was not eating for 16 hours at a time, I began to develop binging habits where I would just stuff my face with as much food as possible. I knew that you were not supposed to change your caloric intake with intermittent fasting, but I could not help myself. I was always so hungry after my workouts and ate everything in sight once the clock hit 2:00 PM each day.

Why It Did Not Work For Me

After two solid months of intermittent fasting, I decided that it was probably best if I stopped. Intermittent fasting claims to help with bloating and weight loss, but I think this really depends on your relationship with food. And I personally have had a weird relationship with food. I’ve gone through restrictive habits, binging episodes and have always just been extremely conscious of what I’m putting in my body. With intermittent fasting, I felt obligated to eat more than I usually would and did not stop eating till my eating period was over. I was always thinking of my next meal, and what I could do better for the next day. One thing they don’t tell you about intermittent fasting is how this can be a toxic ‘lifestyle’ for people who are prone to eating disorders. Even though I lost a few pounds at the beginning of my journey, I ended up gaining it all back by the end of it. It was restrictive and definitely lead to some unhealthy eating habits. Personally, it just was not for me.

So would I recommend intermittent fasting? Probably not. I think that we should all work on developing a better relationship with food, and intermittent fasting was just a little too restrictive for me. My relationship with food has always been a little unstable, and probably always will be. Even so, we all need to make the conscious effort to educate ourselves on what’s best for our bodies. We should all eat when we’re hungry and eat till we’re content. Always remember to prioritize your health!