stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness

How To Recover After Festival Weekend At Coachella

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

Coachella weekend is straight up complete fun. It is three days of just dancing and singing and finally seeing the artists you love perform live. It looks just like the videos and pictures you see online but there is always a hidden truth behind the online posts. In reality, Coachella, or any festival for that matter, can be absolutely tiring and draining. You end up not sleeping properly, not eating healthy, consuming alcohol, walk around for hours in the scorching heat, and not drinking enough water. You may also find behind work or any other responsibilities you may have but you have to bounce and here are a few ways how.

Sleep

Please sleep after a festival weekend. The work can wait, the texts and phone calls can wait, the lurking on social media can wait. Make yourself a priority. Odds are you slept for less than five hours a night the previous weekend so your body is tired. Listen to it. Turn off the lights of your room, wear your most comfiest pajamas, and cuddle with your pillows and blankets. If you don’t sleep properly when you are back there is no way you can get work done efficiently or be present in the moment the following week. Lack of sleep can lead to more stress, not being able to focus on important tasks that are coming up, and it is straight up unhealthy. So take long naps during the week or make sure you get a full eight hours of sleep at least the first week you are back.

Drink Water, Eat Healthy

Festival food and drinks are amazing. There is ice cream, anything fried, anything with cheese on it, amazing cocktails, endless beer, and so much more. But all of these things are unhealthy. Your diet may have just consisted of one legit meal a day since there was so much to do during the day. When you get back make sure the first thing you do is to eat a proper meal. Stack up on healthy protein, your greens, and healthy drinks like juices and smoothies. Stay away from caffeine so you can let your body rest and recover properly. Most importantly, eat all three meals a day and have healthy snacks like nuts, fruits, and vegetables whenever hungry. You have to take care of your body and get the healthy lifestyle back on track.

Plan Your Week

The worst part of spending a weekend without focusing on your responsibilities and obligations is the fact that you may fall behind your work and the stress that comes with it. I highly recommend to make a to do list the first day back and prioritize everything you have to get done that week. Make sure to be committed to your plan but also if you find yourself getting tired or lacking the energy then take a break. Listen to your body because your health is far more important to focus on. Additionally, put social media and technology in general away when catching up on work, homework or just general work for that matter, so you can work efficiently and not waste any time. If you don’t accomplish one or two things on your to do list don’t worry because there is always more time than you think. Just be organized and manage your time and everything will fall into place. Reduce the stress by resting, socializing with family and friends for a few hours, or simply look back at photos and videos from the weekend.

Self Care

Finally, the only way to properly recover is to care for yourself and prioritize yourself for a while. Make sure you dedicate a day the week you are back to take a long shower, do a face mask, deeply clean your hair, maybe go to the gym if you have the energy, and clean your environment by unpacking properly. Do not let your self care routine take a toll because of your fun weekend. Specifically, do not put off unpacking. A cluttered environment will indirectly cause anxiety and it may give you the impression you have more to do. Take care of yourself and your environment so the upcoming week can go by more smoothly and you can get back into your regular routine.

Do not have regrets for spending a weekend at Coachella. It is an experience many people would die for and in life you have to put away the responsibilities for just some time with your friends, good music, and amazing food. You have to make the memories and in reality recovering after such a weekend is all about balance. In the process of doing so you are learning how to balance work and pleasure, which is a skill that is applicable to everyone in the world.

Yasmin is a second year student at UCLA. She is majoring in Psychobiology and minoring in Global Health. Other than being involved in Her Campus, she does research at the Semel Institute in Los Angeles and is a member of Flying Sams. She loves reading, binge watching Netflix shows, and painting (even though she isn't great).
Her Campus at UCLA is a proud Elite Level Chapter in the Her Campus. Our team consists of talented writers, content creators, photographers, designers, event planners and more! Follow us @HerCampusUCLA and check out HerCampus.com/school/UCLA for more articles! Feel free to contact us at hc.ucla@hercampus.com for any questions.