Exclusive Video: Romeo Miller, Storm Reid & Vanessa Morgan Discuss Female Empowerment at The 2018 MTV Awards Red Carpet

While the 2018 MTV Movie & TV Awards was filled with excitement and a flurry of popcorn trophies, the message that the show and many of the attending stars projected for women was extremely important. The show featured non-gendered categories, a crucial change marking an industry-first historic shift. And with Tiffany Haddish as the host of the night, girl power was prominent throughout the ceremony. We had the opportunity to speak with several stars on the red carpet and hear their thoughts on the necessity of female empowerment, especially in the entertainment industry.  

Raymond Braun, who appeared on the show, RuPaul’s Drag Race, which was nominated for “Best Reality Series/Franchise” gave some inspiring words. He stated, “I think that female empowerment is critically important in this industry and I think that we need to have equity in terms of women in front of and behind the camera and the diverse range of stories being told and so I’m really excited for all the films that have like strong, nuanced complexity female leads and equally important women behind the camera that are telling their stories on their terms.” He added, “And that’s why I think Lena Waithe being honored tonight as the Trailblazer is so exciting, I hope that she inspires many more women to enter Hollywood and make waves like she has.” 

Vanessa Morgan, most known for her role as Toni Topaz in Riverdale, shared that “it’s important we raise strong women and show strong women, and have leading women roles like Wonder Woman, so that little girls can watch and become strong themselves.” 

We asked Storm Reid, the star of A Wrinkle In Time, who she would say is her girl boss. She listed Zendaya, Yara Shahidi, and Amandla Stenberg. She added, “I like to look at myself as a Girl Boss.” We could not agree more! 

Rapper and entrepreneur, Romeo Miller from Ex on The Beach, got personal when describing the importance of empowerment for women. He described, “Well it’s very important because we come from a woman. We wouldn’t be here if it wasn’t for women. I’ve got four beautiful sisters. And my new film company, Romeo Lance Studios, is going to be 80% women taking over, writing my scripts, and directing. We need that, everybody is equal. It shouldn't be you’re a man this, no we’re all equal.” 

It was really refreshing and inspiring to hear such encouraging words about women power from these celebs. To see actual footage of our interviews, watch our video! For further coverage of our experience on the red carpet, check out our article about the night.