stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

5 Unexpected Things I Learned After Moving to LA

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

Los Angeles: home to hundreds of overpriced workout places, green juice bars, and trendy stores that are guaranteed to make your already-thin wallet cry. Zoom in. You’ll see buff beefcakes walking out of Equinox holding their Blender Bottles, tan girls in Lululemon leggings who look flawless despite just finishing a hot yoga class, and trendy people in their twenties taking photos of their Pressed Freeze next to the famous pink wall on Melrose.

I’ve lived in Los Angeles for over 10 years and have gotten quite accustomed to the “LA lifestyle”– workout classes on the weekends, long lines at Urth Caffe, and Melrose window shopping. However, like many college students at UCLA, when I first moved here, LA was a whole new world to me. A salad and pressed juice for lunch? Out of the question. However, here are 5 things I’ve learned from living in Los Angeles as a trendy girl in training.

1. I Have Become A Certified Foodie.

Los Angeles is one of the most diverse cities in the entire world, and with that comes a variety of food– really good food. I’ve tried all kinds of food after I moved here. I’ve had Indian, Ethiopian, Vietnamese, Korean, Chinese, Japanese, Persian, Armenian, and even Burmese food! The downside: my taste buds are forever-spoiled. From authentic street-style tacos from Guisados and mouthwatering uni pasta from C.O.D to Insta-worthy ice cream from Salt and Straw, the possibilities for weight gain are endless. 

2. Everyone Looks Like A Fitness Model.

People aren’t just fit in Los Angeles. They are fitness models– fitness models that eat In-N-Out Burger in their Gymshark sportswear while still looking like carbon copies of The Rock and Whitney Simmons. Despite the temptations of yummy food left and right, people manage to look like their diet consists of steamed chicken and veggies. I don’t know what’s in the water here, but I don’t think I have access to the same supply…

3. Are Young People Really Rich These Days, or Just In Really Deep Debt?

I’m not sure how they do it, but young people in Los Angeles somehow have the money to pay for $15 acai bowls and $200 monthly gym memberships. It will be a Wednesday afternoon, and without fail, I will see young people in their twenties shopping and eating on Melrose while I’m driving home from school. How do they manage to live lavishly without a full-time job? The world may never know.

4. Workout Classes Are Not Like The Zumba Classes I Used To Take With My Grandma.

Like most LA residents, I fell into the trap of taking overpriced workout classes. I’ve tried them all: Barry’s Bootcamp, Set and Flow Yoga, SoulCycle, Flywheel, and the list goes on. What’s the common denominator between boot camp, hot yoga and cycling? These things kick your butt… hard. I leave every class with sweat dripping off my face. However, the feeling after you take one of these classes will be nothing short of amazing.

5. Athleisure, Athleisure, Athleisure.

Jeans? Never heard of her. I swear, people in LA pretty much live in leggings, sports bras and joggers. And I’m perfectly okay with that. However, you don’t have to pay the dreaded Lululemon or Alo Yoga prices for pants that give a warm hug. There are so many hidden gems online. Amazon’s 90 Degrees By Reflex leggings: a perfect dupe for Lululemon’s infamously expensive Wunder Unders.

For all you new residents of Los Angeles: don’t feel overwhelmed! LA may feel like Mars right now, but soon enough, this crazy, trendy city will feel like a second a home.  

Madeline is the Assistant Director of Event Marketing for UCLA's Chapter of Her Campus. She is a third-year student majoring in Communication Studies. In her free time, she enjoys watching Rom Coms, cooking, and looking at pictures of cute pugs.
Her Campus at UCLA is a proud Elite Level Chapter in the Her Campus. Our team consists of talented writers, content creators, photographers, designers, event planners and more! Follow us @HerCampusUCLA and check out HerCampus.com/school/UCLA for more articles! Feel free to contact us at hc.ucla@hercampus.com for any questions.