5 Must-Try NYC Restaurants For Every Occasion

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

New York City is one of my favorite places to visit. The exciting hustle and bustle of the city, the tall, sky-scraping buildings and most importantly, the eclectic variety of delicious food at every corner are what keeps me coming back. However, with so many food options left and right, how is one supposed to choose the best places to eat? Well, your certified, but unofficial, foodie is here to help. Here are 5 mouthwatering food destinations for any occasion and craving! 

1. A Trendy American Brunch: Midwinter Kitchen

My visit to Midwinter Kitchen was the highlight of my NYC trip. Located near Gramercy Park, this little restaurant was booming with business. My family and I waited for almost an hour to get seated. However, the mouthwatering dishes made up for it! We ordered their most popular dishes: blueberry cornmeal pancakes with maple butter, their biscuit egg, bacon and cheese sandwich with a side of perfectly-seasoned home fries, their braised steak hash with poached eggs and the chorizo biscuit and gravy skillet with sunny side up eggs. Every single one of these dishes was amazing in their own unique way. The chorizo biscuit and gravy skillet were bursting with flavor. The chorizo added the perfect amount of saltiness, which balanced perfectly with the creaminess of the gravy and butteriness of flaky biscuit.

Personally, the blueberry cornmeal pancakes were my favorite dish of the day, and this statement is a lot considering I truly dislike pancakes. I typically don’t like this fluffy, all-American breakfast classic because of its monotonous, one-dimensional flavor and texture. But, Midwinter Kitchen’s cornmeal pancakes defies these standards. The texture was out of this world. They were crunchy on the outside, but soft and warm on the inside. The pancakes were sweet but still had a hint of saltiness peek through. They were dense, but also perfectly airy. How can pancakes be so paradoxical? Ask Midwinter Kitchen. They apparently do magic.

2. The Best Pizza on Earth: Prince St. Pizza

If you are a NYC foodie, you know what this place is. Located on Prince Street in Soho, this small shack-like restaurant is the quintessential New York eatery: no chairs, no tables—just a crowd of hungry New Yorkers and a pizza maker yelling people’s numbers. Prince St. Pizza is unique because they don’t just sell the typical thin, New York style pizza. They are most famous for their beautiful, thick Sicilian pepperoni beauty. The thick-cut pepperoni and stretchy mozzarella cheese marry each other in perfect harmony on top of a fluffy, chewy dough with a crispy, flavorful crust. If you are looking to finally find the best pepperoni pizza of your life, you need to visit Prince St. Pizza. What’s better than a Prince?

3. Sophisticated Sushi: Omakase by TEISUI

Looking for something a bit fancier? Omakase by TEISUI is for you. Located on 5th Avenue near Chelsea, this modern sushi restaurant is known for its top-quality fish and omakase-style menu. In Japanese, “omakase” means “I’ll leave it up to you.” It is a type of style of cuisine where you put your trust in the chef to create the perfect compilation of sushi for your meal. The chefs really value their craft and put so much effort and minute detail into each dish. Some of the pieces they served were the salmon with caviar, uni with fish roe, bluefin tuna, medium-fatty tuna, fatty tuna, jumbo scallop and several others that I had not even heard of before.

In addition to the delicious sushi, the whole experience made this visit special. Their menus had a complete description of the meaning of omakase, as well as other tips on how sushi is eaten in traditional Japanese culture. Because of this, I learned that you have to eat the sushi all in one bite in order to taste the full the flavors of the dish. I also found out that the best way to dip sushi in soy sauce is to dip it in fish-side first because the rice absorbs too much of the sauce. If you want to experience Japanese culture through a delicious meal, then I highly suggest making a reservation at Omakase by TEISUI.

4. Authentic Shanghainese Dumplings: Joe’s Shanghai Restaurant

Joe’s Shanghai Restaurant is a small, underground restaurant located in Chinatown. They are known for their Chinese soup dumplings, called xiao long bao. These small pockets of goodness are bursting with pure umami flavor. We also ordered a few other popular dishes, such as the crispy shredded beef and garlic green beans. The crispy shredded beef was coated in a sweet, tangy glaze, and the garlic green beans were perfectly cooked. If you are looking for authentic Chinese cuisine, Joe’s Shanghai Restaurant is the place to be!

5. Japanese Food That Isn’t Sushi: Abiko Curry

Japanese Curry is one of my favorite foods, and Abiko Curry does it just right! The restaurant is located in the heart of Koreatown (ironic, I know), and they are known for their curry with breaded, deep-fried pork cutlet, called tonkatsu. I’ve tried several tonkatsu curries before, but never have I had one so perfectly cooked. Their tonkatsu was crispy, light and not overly greasy. Their curry is just a good as well, as it had a thin viscosity and well-balanced in flavor—just the right amount of salt and spice. It also comes with a side of miso soup, Korean radish kimchi and fried garlic chips! If you are looking to venture out of the realm of sushi when it comes to Japanese food, you can’t go wrong with Abiko Curry.

When it comes to food in New York City, you can’t really go wrong. This diverse, compact city is the perfect place to try authentic cuisines from all over the world. I highly recommend you take this list and explore all the yumminess the big apple has to offer!

Madeline is the Assistant Director of Event Marketing for UCLA's Chapter of Her Campus. She is a third-year student majoring in Communication Studies. In her free time, she enjoys watching Rom Coms, cooking, and looking at pictures of cute pugs.
Her Campus at UCLA is a proud Elite Level Chapter in the Her Campus. Our team consists of talented writers, content creators, photographers, designers, event planners and more! Follow us @HerCampusUCLA and check out HerCampus.com/school/UCLA for more articles! Feel free to contact us at hc.ucla@hercampus.com for any questions.