This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

It’s not everyday you see a group of students starting a revolution. Yes, that’s right, a revolution. This group of students have come together to showcase not only their own talents, but the genius of creative rebels all over the world. We had a chat with the VOLZ Book team to find out how their magazine is changing the future of journalism.

HCUCF: What is the VOLZ Book?

Matte Velvet: The VOLZ Book is like a portable art gallery, featuring original works of fine art, fashion editorials and even traditional journalism features. Founded by Matte Velvet, the team now consists of six core members: Art Director Harry Foreman, Editorial Director Alahna Kindred, Photo Director Nick Russett, Fashion Director Kevin Huynh, and Social Media Director Ronald Mwanga. We are aiming to be a platform that enables artists of all types to make a career doing what they love, by showcasing their work.

HCUCF: What makes VOLZ book unique?

Alahna Kindred: The easiest way we describe the VOLZ Book is that it’s “more than a magazine.” It’s a portable art gallery that will give our readers and interactive experience. For example, coloring book pages, pull-out pages and pages that are detachable prints of original art that you can hang on your wall. The book will be printed in high-quality paper and free of ads, that’s right..NO ADS. By creating this experience for our readers we are setting ourselves a part from the magazine industry.

Harry Foreman: Our team. (Buncha weirdos.) I can wholeheartedly say that I am working with awesome individuals who are capable of greatness. So far, it has been proved through our hard work, pivoting and persistence. Our print format, (after we get the money for our kickstarter) our aggressive attitude towards our competition, and our hunger to work with others.

HCUCF: What’s your inspiration for VOLZ book?

Matte Velvet: The VOLZ Book is inspired by the lack of creative freedom I experienced as an intern for a print magazine. I felt that I had a strong opinion about what print journalism could be and I felt confident that I could make it happen.

Ronald Mwanga: Changing how information is presented and digested. Also, what I’ve been taught through school and life is that culture is a performance so I just want to make sure it’s an active and fun one.

HCUCF: What type of audience are you trying to reach with VOLZ?

Matte Velvet: Our audience is comprised of creative rebels who love art, music and fashion.

Harry Foreman: People who are concerned with design, art, music, fashion, money, new perspectives and learning, which can be at any age and in any demographic.

HCUCF: Why did you decide to rebrand Knight Style?

Matte Velvet: I decided to rebrand Knight Style because my vision extends beyond my affiliation with UCF. When I would explain to people what I was doing and what I planned to do, the first thing they would ask is when I’d be changing the name.

HCUCF: Describe the book/magazine in 3 words.

Harry Foreman: Fearless. Discomforting. Awe-inspiring.

HCUCF: Where did the name ‘VOLZ’ come from?

Matte Velvet: VOLZ is actually the German translation of my last name. I just really like the way the word looks and sounds and the fact that it has a personal meaning makes it even more cool!

Check out https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1442754903/volz-book to support the VOLZ Book team. 

UCF Contributor