Culture > News

Ron DeSantis vs. Andrew Gillum: What You Should Know About the Florida Governor’s Race

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

This week, millions of voters across the state of Florida chose their preferred candidate in their political party for the primaries in Florida’s governor’s race. Coming out on top for the Republicans was Trump-backed Ron DeSantis, with President Trump tweeting his congratulations to DeSantis while also sliding in a dig at Andrew Gillum, who is the chosen Democratic nominee for the governor’s race. So how does each potential governor feel about current issues such as immigration, gun safety, and abortion? Read below to compare some of the candidates’ stances:

1. Immigration 

DeSantis: Desantis’ campaign is largely focused on his desire to end illegal immigration. Desantis wants Florida to ban sanctuary cities and wants the state to ensure a legal workforce by implementing E-Verify, which allows employers to check immigration statuses for potential employees. DeSantis also made headlines with a recent political ad telling an infant to “build the wall.”

Gillum: Gillum supports the abolishment of ICE, arguing that President Trump has transformed ICE into an agency that separates children and families, as opposed to a border enforcement agency that works humanely. Gillum’s campaign has highlighted how Florida can focus on both border security as well as treating immigrants compassionately, stating that these two ideas are not mutually exclusive.

2. Economy and Jobs

DeSantis: DeSantis wants to “continue Florida’s economic momentum,” keeping Florida as a low-tax state by supporting an amendment that would require tax increases to be passed by a supermajority in the Legislature. While not going into depth on this issue, his website states he wants to reduce bureaucracy, take away “unreasonable” regulations and get tough on lawsuit abuse.

Gillum: On the other hand, Gillum wants to focus on “rebuilding” the Florida economy that has declined over the past 2 years. Gillum explains that he wants to end the trend of nearly half of Florida households struggling to make ends meet through raising corporate tax as well as through his “Fair Share” plan, which focuses on investing in vocational training, raising teachers’ starting salary, and rebuilding public schools.

3. Abortion

DeSantis: Under DeSantis’ “Defend our Rights” column on his website, he states that as governor, he would sign pro-life legislation into law.

Gillum: Under Gillum’s “Women’s Rights” column on his website, Gillum explains that he trusts women’s ability to make their own decisions with their doctor, as opposed to leaving their healthcare decisions up to politicians. Gillum also calls for the end of using women’s health as a “political football” and will stand against any proposal that could jeopardize a woman’s ability to access healthcare.

4. Gun Safety

DeSantis: The extent to which DeSantis discusses gun safety on his campaign website is stating that he will defend law-abiding citizens’ Second Amendment rights.

Gillum: Gillum has fought—and won—while standing against the National Rifle Association, protecting a law that bans firing weapons in city parks. Gillum also supports “common sense” gun safety policies including banning bump stocks, assault rifles, and large capacity magazines, prohibiting gun possession by those convicted of domestic violence, and requiring background checks for all gun purchases.

Additionally, while DeSantis’ campaign website principally focuses on his Iraq war veteran status as well as his endorsement from President Trump, Gillum’s website also highlights his stances on LGBTQ+ equality, criminal justice reform, healthcare, and Puerto Rico.

As college students, many of you may be asking “Why should I vote when I am just one person?” Unfortunately, the belief that your vote does not matter is not uncommon. In fact, The New York Times reported earlier this year that a study conducted at the University of Michigan found that only 14% of their students voted in the last midterm election. This trend is based on the myth that you, solely, can’t make a change. Change will not happen if you sit at home and don’t let your voice be heard. Passivity only strengthens what you are trying to change.

Click here to check your voter status and to find your closest polling location(s).

Images: 1, 2

UCF Contributor