An Open Letter to My Old Friend

Dear Old Friend,

While pondering late at three o'clock in the morning on the day of my statistics exam, I am wondering about the fall leaves and the chilly 40°F temperature that I experienced for ten years of my life. Florida’s temperatures are weird and unpredictable. It’s summer from March to December and in January and February, it sometimes resembles fall. Hurricanes are the new snow days and when it looks like they won’t happen, it foreshadows the future of adulthood. Life is a day-by-day picture. I’m volunteering and interning for this cool campaign, I’m studying for my public safety telecommunication exam that I will be taking three days before Christmas to become a dispatcher, trying to get a new job, in a cool writing publication, and I’m juggling six classes in my first year at university. You’re in your senior year of high school, and although we never hang out much outside of school because my parents three favorites words were lakay, lekòl and legliz, I do appreciate the memories we had during late elementary and middle school.

I remember when we tried to convince our 7th grade English teacher to do some kind of marketing pitch about fried chicken for our group presentation. No, we weren’t from the South, but it was a year of a lot of cool memes and I was parodying one during one of our FaceTime sessions. Although my middle school self had a love and hate relationship with that video, we failed at our pitch, laughing while showing our English teacher. I guess one major way to put this is with the DS or Wii game of Sims 3. Any mid-to-late-Millennial or early Generation Z member would remember the whole concept of the game. Your Sim could talk to ghosts, criminals, chefs, etc, and you could control them. The point is that people grow over time. Two Sims could be best friends throughout time, but as life goes on, the point of connecting is not as necessary anymore. The title of “good friend” or the highest level of “best friend” changes to "old friend." You don’t see each other every day, and life is so busy that there’s no point in FaceTiming. You meet new people who can fill in that missing person, so there’s no point on being angry because in life you need to continue going on straight.

The best part though is when you finally meet again, it’s like nothing has passed. Those three years since I took that long journey from Pennsylvania and Florida seem like a minute. Catching up and wanting to be a part of the loop is a mixture of good and bad. You’re shocked by all of the changes despite things remaining same. New people work at that local dollar store that my mom and I went to buy almost every basic thing. The movie theater that I could only go to with a sister is larger but has the same staff. They still have the same old faces, but the buildings keep getting better around them. Looking at your achievements, I’m proud of what you are accomplishing. You tried out for that national solo, and although you didn’t get it and it left you disappointed, you still went along. You worked on AP all four years of your high school career even though what would have been our future school together wouldn’t allow for it until 10th or 11th grade. You worked at Wendy’s all summer long with no break for yourself with annoying customers, and now you're a line cook. It’s all great now. Even though we don’t talk much anymore. I hope all is well with you. Your last first semester of high school will finally be ending soon. Although I can't be with you, I bet you’re doing just fine.

-FC (D)

Images: 1, 2, 3, 4