Let's Break Down the "Solo" Trailer

Okay, I wasn't the only Star Wars fan who was a little bit nervous about Solo, right? I mean, between the changing of directors, extensive re-shoots, and general difficulty of recasting a role as iconic as Han Solo, the movie was pretty much always a question mark. Luckily, the first trailer recently dropped on Good Morning America, and can I just say: Ron Howard, I take it all back. Solo looks likes it's going to ruin my life, and I am SO ready for that. Let's take a look at some of the most impressive shots from the trailer and try to figure out what in the name of Darth Plagueis is going on, shall we?

Now THIS is podracing!

Or something like that. This shot of Han Solo piloting a speeder with Emilia Clarke's mysterious character Qi'ra has me intrigued, although the Hanleia shipper inside me is a little tweaked at the idea of Han possibly having a love interest. But hey, who knows! Maybe they're just platonic partners in crime...or maybe she's actually Lando's love interest...or maybe she'll end up being the surprise villain? I have so many questions. 

Hoth, is that you?!

Probably not. As cool as it would be to revisit everyone's favorite ice planet, I have a feeling Solo is going to focus on new star systems and worlds. I have to wonder how Chewie feels about that fur coat Han is rocking in this shot...maybe it's faux?

She's...so beautiful...

Everyone has already brought this up, but I'm gonna say it again: what in the name of Kylo Ren's Eight Pack did Han and Chewie do to the Millennium Falcon to ruin these perfectly white walls?! Look how pristine it used to be! Lando clearly knows how to take care of a ship. (I wonder if we'll find out exactly how Han ended up winning the ship from him?)

Nice to meet you, Tobias Beckett!

Here we get our first look at Woody Harrelson's character, Tobias Beckett, who's supposed to serve as a sort of scoundrel role model for Han. It also looks like they're on a beach planet, which is neat, although I'd be lying if I said it wasn't bringing back some depressing Rogue One finale memories. Beckett tells Han that he's "putting together a crew," but we're left in the dark as to the purpose of that crew. I'm thinking...smuggling? Just a wild guess.

Qi'ra serves looks.

This is a look for the ages, and it's also giving me some more of those "villainous" vibes that I mentioned earlier. Qi'ra is such a wildcard, and I really can't wait to see what her role ends up being in this film. Whatever it is, I hope we get to see as many of her outfits as possible.

Yay, representation!

We don't know much about Thandie Newton's character yet, but I already know I love her. Despite taking place in an entire galaxy filled with all sorts of different species, the Star Wars series leaves a lot to be desired when it comes to diversity. Here's hoping Newton's character gets a fantastic arc in this movie and helps pave the way for more women of color to take over the galaxy!

A case for Lando: A Star Wars Story

...do I even need to comment on this? Donald Glover, we do not deserve you or your already-fantastic portrayal of Lando Calrissian. We are not worthy. This is one of the finest examples of casting perfection in history, for anyone taking notes. Seriously, I'd pay full ticket price just to see his scenes.

Everyone's favorite piloting duo!

After having to go through Han Solo's death right in front of Chewbacca in The Force Awakens, it's stupidly cathartic to see the two reunited on the big screen again. And it's nice to hear Han translating for this Wookiee pal again too!

Kylo Ren's dream mask

It looks like one of the villains of Solo (whose name is most likely Moloch) is taking fashion advice from Darth Vader and Kylo Ren. I actually don't think it's much of a stretch to draw some comparisons between this mask and Kylo's - especially the eye piece. I wonder if that's significant at all, or just a coincidence? Also, if someone could work on translating that Aurabesh on the top, that would be great.

Kaytoo, is that you?

It's obviously not K-2SO, but I can't be the only one who's reminded of the sarcastic droid upon seeing this new one. Maybe it's just the whole bipedal thing that's make me want to draw a comparison? All I know is if this droid is anywhere close to as funny as Kaytoo, I'm going to get attached.

Now THAT'S what I call a Solo Smirk!

I admit it - I was a little apprehensive about the idea of casting anyone as a young Han Solo. Who could ever compare to Harrison Ford? As it turns out, I'm pretty sold on Alden Ehrenreich after seeing this spot-on smirk that only a true Solo could pull. Knock on wood, but I think I'm going to be very happy with his performance!

Will the parsec mystery finally be solved?

I'm going to go out on a limb here and assume this is probably the infamous Kessel Run that Han brags about making in less than 12 parsecs. We all know parsecs are a measure of distance, not time, so perhaps we could finally be fixing that discrepancy with this scene? Is the Kessel Run a complex route that can be better traversed through the use of shortcuts? Is it really a matter of distance after all? Please, Ron Howard, I'm begging you...clear this up. It haunts me.

I had a countdown going for the release of Star Wars: Episode IX, but now I think I'm going to add a new one for Solo: A Star Wars Story. This trailer filled me with an absurd amount of anticipation, and I'll probably read articles dissecting it for the next week and a half. Until Memorial Day, may the Force be with you!

Image credit: Header, Screenshots