The Dance Fads That Ruled Us

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

What is a dance craze? Where do they come from and why is everyone doing it? We should probably thank Youtube for these moves that accompany overly played songs that taught us how to look semi-cool when the beat drops. Dance crazes quite simply revolutionized dance.  

When the dj plays those songs, you already know everyone is going to break out into organized dance, whether you’re at a wedding reception, or out at the clubs. You might even be home alone and teaching yourself how to Dougie (no judgement).  No matter the time or place, these fads we’ve come to know so well rule society, and are clearly here to stay. Just look at the YMCA and the Macarena. They might be pretty uncool in 2015, but your mom still loves them. We’ll definitely still be Party Rockin in 2035. LONG LIVE THE DANCE CRAZE. 

1.  Crank That Soulja Boy

“YOUUUUUUUU”, the only word you need to know. 

2. The Dougie 

Please, teach me how. 

3. The Wop

Uh-oh, play dead like.

4. Fist pumping

Thank you Jersey Shore for the most undancy dance fad yet. 

5. Gangnam Style

Oh Psy, what have we done?

6. Single Ladies

Beyonce may have done it first, but J Timberlake did it better. 

7. Bye Bye Bye

Quite possibly the best dance fad courtesy of N’Sync.

8. Twerking

Can be done standing up, in a split, or even upside down on the wall. Thank you Miley for such a versatile dance fad. 

9. Lean Wit It Rock Wit It

The dance created for people who don’t really know how to dance. 

10. Pop Lock and Drop It

Could end in injury to yourself and onlookers if done incorrectly. 

11. 1, 2 Step

It should probably be called the 1, 2, 3 Step, but either way it’s simple. 

12. Party Rock Shuffle

If the robot can do it, you can do it to. Thank you for Party Rocking, btw. 

13. Harlem Shake

Maybe the strangest fad, but equally as entertaining to watch when done by professional athletes. 

14. Whip My Hair

This is a hazard to everyone and shouldn’t be attempted unless you’re Willow Smith, hair-whipping professional. 

15. The Carlton 

An oldie but a goodie. 

16. Nae Nae

WAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

17. The Stanky Leg

If you don’t know what you’re doing, this dance may be the best way to embarrass yourself on the dance floor. 

18. Gas Pedal 

Dem White Boyz doe… 

UCF Contributor