This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

Because many universities have moved completely online for the fall semester or have made classes remote through Zoom, a lot of us will be doing most of the work for our classes and internships from our desks. While our desks work just fine, studying for days in the same space and scenery can soon become old, leaving us unmotivated to complete our work. Thus, here are five simple ways to enhance your workspace and switch up the scene to boost both your productivity and creativity.

Use mugs and cups as storage to stay organized.

Mugs and cups don’t just have to be for drinking. Though most people use them to hold their beverages, they’re actually a great way to store pens, pencils, paper clips and other small items. Almost any color works and it’s a great way to take advantage of what you already have.

Add life to your desk with a plant or two.

Succulents are one of many plants that require very little work while also adding life to your space. However, if you really don’t want to worry about taking care of something, fake plants work just as well.

Put lighting in your room.

If you’re working late or are in a space with bad lighting, adding more light to your space can be essential and make all the difference. Depending on the area, some good options are candles, desk lamps, twinkle lights and floor lamps. Not only will they help increase your productivity, but they will also serve as a decoration by adding a pop of color to the area.

Convert your computer into a work of art.

Instead of looking at a basic default computer screen when you open your laptop, you can instead look at an art deco piece or a motivational saying by switching out your wallpaper. There are so many online to choose from to help inspire you throughout the day.

Create and hang a collage or mood board.

This is a great way to add personality to your space as well as let your creativity grow. It will help you stay focused and motivated throughout the day, and you can switch it up when you get tired of it.

To improve your study space, I highly encourage you to try one of these tips. These are things I personally did, and I’m happy I did them. Not only do I feel more energized to complete my work, but I also feel more productive and innovative.

Lindsey is a senior majoring in Advertising and Public Relations with a double minor in Writing and Rhetoric and Mass Culture and Collective Behavior at University of Central Florida. She hopes to pursue a career in marketing, advertising or pubic relations one day. Most of the time she can be found studying around campus or hanging out with friends. In her free time, she loves to travel, cook, and go to theme parks.
UCF Contributor