jakob owens SaO8RBYC0bs unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jakob owens SaO8RBYC0bs unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

4 Lessons I’ve Learned from My Dad’s Battle with Cancer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

In the midst of tragedy, one can either let fear and sadness take over, or one can look for the deeper meanings of the situation.

About a year and a half ago, my dad was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. He fought until his final breath, and because of his great strength, willpower and determination, he outlived his life expectancy by over seven months. As difficult and heartbreaking as this time was, I decided to try looking at the situation from a different angle. Through watching him fight his battle, listening to him reminisce and acknowledging my own feelings and emotions, I have learned four important life lessons that I will carry with me forever:

1. Live Each and Every Day to the Fullest

This is perhaps the most important lesson I’ve learned. Your whole life can change in an instant, as it did for my dad. So, don’t sit around and put things off until tomorrow. There is no better time to do something than today. Go try a new hobby that you’ve always been interested in, have a nice dinner out, make plans with family and friends, book a trip to your dream destination or do whatever it is that you’ve always wanted to do. By doing this, you’ll have no regrets, and life will become so much more exciting.

2. Share Your Feelings

Tell people how you feel. Keeping things bottled up will only make you feel anxious and uncomfortable, so find someone you can count on when life gets tough. And share the good feelings, too! If you love or care about someone, tell them. If you haven’t heard from an old friend, reach out! And most importantly, if you’ve had a conflict with someone you were close with, try to work it out. It may take time, but you will feel so much better about it in the end. Life is too short to hold grudges, and everyone makes mistakes. So, be true to yourself and talk to the people you love.

3. Take Care of Yourself

We are only given one body, so take care of it! Go to the doctor, exercise, practice techniques to manage stress and try to keep a positive outlook. When it comes to food, try to make smart choices, but allow yourself to have special treats in moderation. By taking care of yourself, you’re not only setting yourself up for a healthier life but a happier one too.

4. Do What You Love

It is so important to do the things that make you happy. Pursue your passions and work towards your dreams. Life is less of a chore if you are doing things that keep you engaged and excited, so when choosing a career path, focus on jobs that will make you eager to start each day. Also, give yourself time each week to pursue your hobbies and goals. By doing this, you will give yourself no room for regrets.

Talking to my dad throughout his journey taught me so many valuable lessons. He was my biggest fan, a shoulder cry on, a friend to laugh with and most importantly the best dad I could’ve asked for. I am so grateful for the time that I had with him, and I will keep him in my heart forever.

Images: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Lauren is a student at the University of Central Florida and is majoring in Hospitality Management. When she isn't studying you can probably find her at a theme park, working out, or curling up to a good movie. She has a passion for writing that she is excited to share with the world.
UCF Contributor