Why I Don’t Particularly Care About the Oscars

I think the last time I watched the Oscars was when I was twelve years old. I was intrigued by the girls in the long, flowy dresses and the guys all suited up; I was obsessed. But as the years went by and I entered high school, the Oscars being on a Sunday night began to conflict with this weird moral code I had in which I wouldn’t let myself watch TV on Sunday nights (nerd, right?); and, so, I just started distancing myself from it. I didn’t do this on purpose, but I just didn’t have the time to care. And then last year came around and I was living in the dorms, and we had an Oscars watch party. I fell asleep about thirty minutes into it because I just didn’t care.

Now, I have nothing against people who do like the Oscars. I definitely see the allure of it, but to me, if I like a movie, I like a movie. I don’t care if the Academy hates it and doesn’t nominate it; I enjoy watching it and that’s all that matters. Aquaman? Loved that nonsense. Is it nominated for an Oscar? No. Do I care? No. I think this stems from me also hating movie ratings because I don’t like people telling me what to feel. If a movie is terrible, I want to go watch that movie and see if it is actually that terrible. This might be a little dramatic, I know, but I think it also stems from my lack of ability to listen to authority (we’ll unwrap that another day). I don’t particularly like watching the Oscars because it’s not how I feel about a movie, it’s how a group of really old cranky men and women feel about it, and if I wanted to watch that, I’d be more involved in politics.

Nevertheless, don’t let my article dissuade you from watching the Oscars, because the one thing I do like is looking at my Daily Mail subscription the next day and looking at the dresses people wore. So please, for the sake of my Daily Mail subscription, keep watching those Oscars, but just don’t mind if I skip out for the 8th year in a row.