This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

I remember being eight years old and a relative telling me I’d be prettier if I lost weight. I remember being thirteen, and my aunt was so proud that I’d had a growth spurt, because “You’ve finally gotten skinnier!” I remember being sixteen, and my seven-year-old cousin said “Wow, you’ve gained weight since I last saw you.”  

Growing up with these kinds of comments left lasting impressions. I became increasingly insecure about my weight and appearance. I remembered every comment on my weight I’d ever received as I would consciously skip meals in high school, hoping that if I ate a little less and ran a little more, I would reach my goal of being thin.

But being thin was not an attainable goal. No matter how much I lost, I wanted to lose more. I was never satisfied with my appearance, always convinced that I wasn’t doing enough.

I would lie to my family, insisting that I wasn’t hungry or that I’d already eaten. I’d lie to my friends with excuses that I would eat when I got home.

One day I looked in the mirror and I could barely recognize myself. I looked thinner, which is what I thought I wanted, but I also looked so sad. Where had my smile gone? Why did my eyes look so lifeless? I finally started realizing the cost of my unhealthy weight loss plan; I lost myself.

Senior year of high school, I decided enough was enough. Something had changed, where I no longer cared about my weight but I was so concerned with whether or not I was happy. I stopped counting calories and over working myself at the gym, and started joining clubs I was passionate about and spending time with friends.

In college, I started exercising to be healthy, not to be skinny. I’m still insecure about my body, and I don’t know if that will ever go away. But my best friend told me that I seem like me again, and that means more to me than any comment about my weight ever could.

Cover image source: Pexels

This is the UCD Contributor page from University of California, Davis! 
Mariana graduated from University of California, Davis in 2018 with bachelor's degrees in English and linguistics. She currently works as an editor for a biotechnology company in Seattle, WA.