How I Met My Canadian Boyfriend

I have been told that my love story is basically a 90’s rom-com and that I should consider writing a book about it. But before I write a novel, I decided I would start by writing an article.

One of our family traditions is to go on an annual cruise vacation. And by “family” I am not referring to my mom, dad, and sister. I mean my parents, my sister, and all 70 of my cousins, aunts, uncles, second cousins, third cousins...you get it. It is always the best ten days of the entire year because I get to see all of my favorite people, play on waterslides and relax in hot tubs, and, of course, eat unlimited pizza. It really doesn’t get any better than that. On top of all of that, I had experienced quite a bit of bad luck related to love during the last year, so a cruise sounded like the perfect way to get my mind off of it all. Needless to say, it came as a surprise to everyone when I found the man of my dreams while sailing the seas around the islands of Hawaii.

Formal night on the cruise is one of my favorite nights of them all because I get to dress up in a pretty gown, put my makeup skills to use, and try on one of the three hairstyles that I know how to do. Before dinner that evening, my sister and I sat down on a bench in a relatively empty hallway to wait until our table was ready. While we were lounging, a family walked past us and there he was. He was tall, lean, and looked so handsome dressed up in a shirt and tie. I turned to my sister so quickly that my ponytail smacked me in the face and said, “I just saw the cutest guy that I have ever seen in my entire life.” I know it seems dramatic, but I really was telling the truth.

A couple of nights later, my cousin and I headed to the nightclub on the ship and, to my surprise, he was there. We introduced ourselves and talked for a while, getting to know one another. I found out he was from Canada, which slightly broke my heart, but I also knew that FaceTime and texting were options. He was also genuinely the kindest person I had ever met and we discovered that we had a lot in common. I couldn’t believe how lucky I was to have met this basically-perfect person. I thought I was dreaming.

When it got late, we headed to the elevators to get back to our rooms. Again, to my surprise, our rooms were on the same floor, which was basically fate working its magic. We began parting ways, but I turned to my cousin and said, “Man, I wish I got his number so I can keep in touch with him.” Thank goodness my cousin is the best wingwoman ever because she called his name and told him to come back and exchange numbers with me. When we parted ways again, I began jumping up and down because I was so happy, and when I looked back, he was doing the exact same thing.

We hung out for the next couple of days and on the last night, we talked until six in the morning. I had never felt a connection with anyone like I did with him. Although we had only known each other for a few days, it felt like we had known each other forever. We knew what we had was something special so we decided to try to continue our now long-distance relationship. A few days later, I flew out to Canada to hang out with him for the rest of break and we are still happily together to this day.

You are probably wondering why you read through my detailed love story of how I very randomly met my Canadian boyfriend, but if you take anything from this article, it should be this: the best things in life come unexpectedly. When you think things are going wrong and it doesn’t look like anything good is on its way, trust me, it is. That is the beauty of life. The best things come to surprise us, whether it is love, friendship, or a new job opportunity. So, maybe you won’t meet your boyfriend on a cruise ship in Hawaii, but there are so many other amazing, beautiful things in your life that are waiting to surprise you.

All Images Provided Courtesy of the Author