Failing My First Class

Last quarter, I failed my first class. Me, the girl who was in the top 15% in high school, the girl who could do everything and never fail. I did not passed a class and my world was rocked. How could I have failed a class? Anu Reddy does not fail.

Now, did I cry about this? Yes. But then I took a step back and reflected. What happened last quarter that did not allow me to do well? Well, first of all, I was taking 18 units, as well as doing two internships, working a part-time job, and coping with the fact that my grandfather had died. When I looked at it this way, I was lucky to still have my sanity. I was told by friends and advisors that yes, while failing one class does suck and make you question yourself and everything you’re working towards, it also isn’t really that big of a deal. 

I’m currently retaking the class and although I was initially upset about it, when I walked into the lecture the next day and actually knew what the professor was talking about, I was pretty delighted. For once, I had understood what was going on in class, and that made me happy beyond words. Yes, failing did hurt me for a while, but that feeling was replaced with the overwhelming relief of not going to class and feeling dumb.

Given the situation I went through, failing one class in my college career is not the worst thing that could happen. Looking at the grand scheme of things, I still have my family, I still have my friends, I still go to UC Davis, and that pesky, ugly grade that’s looking me in the face will soon be replaced and forgotten. So going into this quarter, just remember that your mental health is not worth any grade. At the end of the day, if there is a will, there is a way, and I wish someone had told me that before I had three mental breakdowns over a single grade.